General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is it possible 2 bypass fuel pump to troubleshoot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Default Is it possible 2 bypass fuel pump to troubleshoot?

I have a 1990 Honda Accord that has been sitting for a year or so. It had a really bad misfire back then and oil in the spark plug holes (I thought that was causing the missfire so i replaced the seals that),
It was still missfiring, then after some point it wouldn't start at all.
I replaced the ignitor, rotor, spark plugs thinking it might be a weak spark.
Coil measures out ok so I'm not ready to replace it (has spark in all 4)
Compression is excellent in all 4.

I took it to a shop for diagnosis and they say my fuel pump is dead. OK, but now my problem is this: before I put more money into the fuel pump problem, I'd like to know if there's anything else wrong with the engine.
Is there not a way for them to supply fuel directly to the fuel port just to see how it will run? I'd prefer to not pay $350 to replace the fuel pump and then find out something else is toast as well.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the key to the II position, but don't try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for the bulb check, can you hear the fuel pump turn on for about two seconds? The noise is a faint whirling/buzzing noise coming from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully.

You can also remove the snorkel to the intake and try spraying staring fluid directly into the intake while someone tries to start the car. If the car starts up and runs (likely poorly), then you have a fuel problem.

Do you have a volt meter or a 12V test light?