General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to "hot wire" the rear window motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Default Is it possible to "hot wire" the rear window motor?

Retired - Newbie: 1995 Accord LX w/2.2. My back window is stuck down. Is it possible to put 12v (another battery) with clippy wires to get the window up? I tried, no luck. I know on Fords; there are two wires from the motor, + & - wires the window goes up, - & + the window goes down. Will this work in a Honda? Rain coming monday, want the window up...until I can find why all of the windows (and radio antenna) are dead, fuses are good. Whazup?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

As I answered your other post about this same issue;
Yes you should be able to power the motor, and change battery polarity to reverse motor direction.
Thump the motor if there is no action to check for stuck brushes

Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

You are right.

There are two wires going to the window motor. Hooking up + and - to each pin will operate the motor one way. Switching the + and - will reverse the motor direction.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Also, in the engine bay fuse box, switch the radiator fan relay with the power window relay. If the windows start working, then get a new relay. Swap it back so your car doesn't overheat.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Thanks, I'm out to try it.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Ok, got the window up. Just for information; I had to scrape off some insulation to get a good connection, putting probes in the connector didn't work. Thanks again.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Did you switch the power window relay with the radiator fan relay?

The antenna motor is probably a separate issue. Does the antenna motor make any noise when you turn on the radio?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

I see that you are posting on other threads about your power window problems.

Yet, you will not answer the questions on this thread, so we can help you further diagnose the problem.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 PM

Well, Switched the relays, no difference. I am a little confused about: why this morning, the passenger window worked great. Now, nothing. Someone mentioned ground from the Window Control Unit. Appreciate all the help, but I am still in a state of confusion...this can happen. Yunno?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

You are going to have to use a volt meter and do some electrical testing on the driver's door panel. I attached pics of the switch test, and the test of the wires leading into the master switch.

Attached Thumbnails Is it possible to "hot wire" the rear window motor?-wire-tests.jpg   Is it possible to "hot wire" the rear window motor?-locations.jpg   Is it possible to "hot wire" the rear window motor?-switch.jpg  

Quick Reply: Is it possible to "hot wire" the rear window motor?