General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power door locks stuck in locking cycle - 96 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Power door locks stuck in locking cycle - 96 Accord

We have a 96 Accord and have started having trouble with the power door locks. The locks get stuck locking over and over again whenever we lock them - it's the same result with the key, the automatic door lock lever or by locking all the doors from the driver's door with the pin-lock (the manual lock that individually locks each door).

Once the doors are locked, they just continue to repeatedly lock, lock, lock, lock, lock about once a second until we unlock them again. The only temporary solution we've come up with is to pull up on the pin-lock on the driver's door not quite hard enough to unlock it, but just shy of that. That somehow causes the problem to stop, the doors remain locked.

Does it sound like there is a specific part we could replace to fix the problem? It's been happening for about 2 months and we're afraid that the problem is going to get worse and we won't have any way to lock the doors without them being stuck in that locking cycle forever.

We don't work on cars much, but we are pretty handy and wouldn't hesitate to dive in to the door panel to swap parts or help diagnose.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Door lock actuator is where the issue most likely is. A member on here (redbull-1) wrote something up a while back, I'll see if I can dig it up.

There is a possible fix without replacing, there is a "stopper" on the inside that comes loose. Many have glued is back in and been fine

Attached Thumbnails Power door locks stuck in locking cycle - 96 Accord-rubber%2520stops.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 10-29-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Here some more info. I copied from what I wrote before:

Regarding the buzzing, most likely one or both of the rubber bump stops inside the door lock actuator has broken off. The gear is going past the point it should normally stop at and making the buzzing noise. If this went on for too long, too many of the gear teeth inside the actuator may have broken off and the whole actuator needs replacement. If only one or two teeth broke off, it may still be okay. The rubber stops normally can be glued back. You can remove the actuator to try to see the problem. See this thread:

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2465699

Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks redbull-1....

Old 10-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks so much guys. Your consensus gives me confidence, and the linked thread has a lot of detail that should be helpful. I just need to wait for the weather to turn (car parked outside...) so that I can get into the car door.

Thanks again. I will try to follow up and let you know if that is it after I have a chance to get into the door. This site really is a great resource, and your quick responses are very appreciated.