General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power steering fluid was leaking through bolt, need urgent help.(Only transportation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Default Power steering fluid was leaking through bolt, need urgent help.(Only transportation)

I tried to tighten the bolt to see if that was the problem, one turn and the screw broke inside the mount.

As you can tell, in that last picture it looks as if no bolt is there. About 80% of the bolt broke off, so 20% of it is still broken inside. I don't know what to do and I am panicking! Please help me, thanks a lot.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a drill? They make special bits to remove broken bolts like this.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Do you have a drill? They make special bits to remove broken bolts like this.
If I have to, i'll buy a drill and can you tell me what exactly I need to use?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

They are known as broken bolt extractors. They sell them at home depot/autozone/sears or basically anywhere. You can youtube search removing broken bolts to see how to use them.

If you have a harbor freight in your town they will definitely have a drill for cheaper than most places, and might even have the bits.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You will likely spend more money/time on extracting bolt than replacing PS pump. They are readily available as used parts and inexpensive, < $50.

You might be able to pick the bolt out w/ a sharp punch applied at edge.

Drilling out requires some experience and good tools. It is difficult IMO. Not much downside to trying however!

good luck

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Thank you guys, very helpful. I will be looking around for that power steering pump. How much would a shop charge me to put it on?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You will likely spend more money/time on extracting bolt than replacing PS pump. They are readily available as used parts and inexpensive, < $50.

You might be able to pick the bolt out w/ a sharp punch applied at edge.

Drilling out requires some experience and good tools. It is difficult IMO. Not much downside to trying however!

good luck
How am I supposed to put it on when that bolt is broken?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

You will just have to buy a new bolt for the new pump.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

And just me but if there was a leak there....I'd get a new o-ring for that hose.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest getting two OEM bolts from Honda. You may have also overtorqued and damaged the other bolt. You may be able to get OEM bolts from junkyard w/ PS pump. OEM provide high strength bolts that are less likely to fail. Also suggest using a torque wrench to avoid over-torquing.

Generally, w/ compression oring seals, additional bolt tightening is ineffective as the mating parts close to flush and depend on compressing a soft, compliant oring to seal. If oring is hard/flattened it won't seal and any additional bolt load simply goes to loading the steel parts already in contact.

good luck

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid was leaking through bolt, need urgent help.(Only transportation)