General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering hose leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default power steering hose leaking

has anybody successfully removed/replaced the power steering pressure hose on a v6 7th gen accord (2004)? mine has a leak and i hate paying $400 to replace it.

can this entire job be done from above...or does it require jacking the car and working from underneath? some say the rear engine mount must be loosened to raise the engine enough to remove/install the hose/tubing. that is, of course, if you do NOT want to bend the tubing...which I prefer not since this is a $150 part.

how difficult is the job for a HACK mechanic like ME? THANKS!!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM

you need to do some research for yourself,not tryn to be a jerk but any of us thats done this can tell you its a piece of cake?
that depends on the individual?get a repair book for your car and read up on it only you can decide for yourself if you can do the job or not?
If you have the time and the patients then go for it! if not well then you know what to do?
good luck

Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Accordian04
has anybody successfully removed/replaced the power steering pressure hose on a v6 7th gen accord (2004)? mine has a leak and i hate paying $400 to replace it.

can this entire job be done from above...or does it require jacking the car and working from underneath? some say the rear engine mount must be loosened to raise the engine enough to remove/install the hose/tubing. that is, of course, if you do NOT want to bend the tubing...which I prefer not since this is a $150 part.

how difficult is the job for a HACK mechanic like ME? THANKS!!!!!
You will also have to work underneath the car. You can refer to this thread regarding the rear mount.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ocedure-48628/

Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93
you need to do some research for yourself,not tryn to be a jerk but any of us thats done this can tell you its a piece of cake?
that depends on the individual?get a repair book for your car and read up on it only you can decide for yourself if you can do the job or not?
If you have the time and the patients then go for it! if not well then you know what to do?
good luck
Please be a little more respectful of other members. Most people that done it on a 7th generation Accord (2003- 2007) V6 will say it is not easy.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
You will also have to work underneath the car. You can refer to this thread regarding the rear mount.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ocedure-48628/
thanks redbull...i stumbled upon that thread while using the search tool.....like the good HAF member I try to be. Also, thanks for requesting a bit of respect, however, I totally agree with the comment about the difficulty of performing a repair is dependent on the individual. it really was a bit of a stupid question on my part but I'm trying to gauge whether the job is WAY over my head. still not sure why you claim i'll be working underneath the car??????? can you be specific as to why?

FYI....part of my problem for asking what seem to be 'stupid' questions is I don't own an accord. My son has the accord and I seldom see him...or his vehicle. So, I have to try and visualize everything that goes into a repair. Often times, I'm looking at a honda parts diagram to determine 'how to'.

In the case of diagnosing his p/s pressure hose leak, I was able to peek under the hood for a minute or two...just long enough to find out why his car was 'smoking' under the hood. I really didn't look at the situation from a standpoint of doing the repair myself. But, as all good Dad's will do, I try to help when and where I can. So, looks like I'll be attempting this job. Can't stand having him pay 400-500...for a stupid hose.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

See the attached diagram for how the pressure hose is routed from the power steering pump to the steering rack and pinion.

Attached Thumbnails power steering hose leaking-power-steering-hoses.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks for the diagram. hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to meet up with my son and look under the hood of his accord. without looking, i'm still having a difficult time visualizing where/how the rear engine mount comes into play...and why i'll be underneath the vehicle.

i am, however, able to sense how difficult it might be to fish the tubing to its final destination.

i'm kicking myself in the butt because i think i damaged the p/s hose when i was replacing the bank 1 a/f sensor 1...trying to make room for my big fat hand. another possibility is when i was replacing the spark plugs nearest the firewall. i thought i was saving myself some $$$ by doing it myself. instead, i've created another problem. never detected any p/s fluid leak or heard any reports of smoke coming from under the hood until AFTER i performed these repairs. oh well.......lesson learned. be careful moving the p/s hose (ever so slightly).

Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM

These hoses are known to leak. I changed the one on my 03 V6. The metal part of the line goes through the motor mount base. The right way to remove the line, is to unbolt the mount, and lift the engine with a jack, so you can pull the line out from under the mount. I was able to bend the metal part enough to get it through the mount, but you have to be VERY CAREFUL doing this, because a kinked line is no good, and a new one will cost you another $100. I would use a line wrench to remove the 14mm flare-nut on the rack end of the line. You will have to switch the pressure sensor from the old line, to the new line once you get the old one out. I also suggest using new o'rings including on the pressure sensor.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:47 AM
Default Accord 2005 2.4 L LX Model - Return hose damaged

Where do i find the part numbers for Honda accord. it's been crazy weeks for almost tried to find a part number by showing the old parts in picture and finally got a wrong one which doesn't even fit in. power steering return hose was completely damaged when i replaced the pressure hose in first place, it's like Christmas day for us and i am at home watching my wrecked car in my shed.

BTW my car and I are in India, any asian part number guide would be appreciated..