General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Hose Replaced, Now its whining...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Default Power Steering Hose Replaced, Now its whining...?

Sup Everyone,

I changed the high pressure power steering hose on 2000 Accord EX V6 due to a leak. The replacement part was purchased from Majestic Honda and installed by my mechanic. Once installed it began making a light whining noise anytime i turn the wheel, similar to when a car needs power steering fluid. However, mines is already full. I made sure to use only honda power steering fluid. My mechanic informed me that its typical for air to get it when replacing the power steering hose and with time after turning the wheel enough the air will escape and it will stop making that noise. Needless to say 6 months later it hasnt.

Upon recommendation I replaced the O ring on the (front) top side of the High Pressure Hose but its hasnt fixed the noise. I dont think its a faulty Power Steering Pump because it wasnt making that noise prior to changing the hose.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Also, can anyone tell me if this tube which is also connected to the Power Steering pump in front of the high pressure hose carries an "O" ring as well?

The reason i asked is because i came across this youtube clip with an acura TL that shows the same symptoms and similar engine set up.
YouTube - Power steering leak Acura/Honda

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First I would try to confirm the PS pump is making the noise. I've found it easy to be fooled by origin of sound. Remove the PS pump belt and see if noise disappears. If yes, then you know for certain PS pump is source of noise.

Above will also allow check to be sure PS belt is not too tight. It doesn't take a lot of belt tension for the PS pump.

Next, check the PS pump reservoir and see if you see bubbles or foam in the fluid. If yes, then air is getting in somewhere on the suction side of the circuit. It won't pull air in on the hp hose!

If PS pump is still making noise, then somehow something was changed during HP hose installation. Possible restriction? Crimped hose somewhere?

good luck

Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Texas thanks for the informative feedback. How can i remove the PS Belt?

I notice you dont mention the O Ring at all, is it because it wouldnt necessarilly play a role in this type of problem? btw, i never got to change the rear bottom O ring. Not sure if that matters any.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's easy and obvious, right on top of engine. Loosen lock nut and turn slackening bolt to allow pulley to travel towards crankshaft drive pulley.

If you go to Autozone repair manuals, you can see pictures and further detail.

good luck

Old 03-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Where your pointing is not a pressure line. If its not leaking at that specific area, don't worry about it. If it does have an o-ring, it's only for preventing fluid leak. My first thought was: you should not have accepted the repair as the noise was not there before. That said, if the belt was too tight, it would have stretched over six months and quieted down. If the hose that was replaced had a bad leak, the system pressure would not be up to specs.The mechanic Installs a new pressure line and pump now has more internal load. More load...more noise on a faulty pump. These pumps have whats called a spool valve inside them. The spool valve is actuated by power steering speed sensor. The speed sensor is mounted in the back of the transmission. As your speed increases, less assist is needed to steer. So the faster you go, the faster the differential in the trany spins the speed sensor. The speed sensor has two small power steering hoses ( inlet and outlet ) that go to the rack and pinion . The faster you go the faster the fluid travels into and out of the steering rack, decreasing pressure therefore decreasing assist . A spool valve in the power steering pump moves from full assist to gradually no assist depending on fluid pressure. The faster you go the less pressure the pump gives. Sounds like you need a new pump. The mechanic you took it to should have known it does not take long to get rid of air in your system. You should also replace the reservoir when changing the pump . It has a micro filter built into it at the bottom. If Im correct that it's a spool valve problem then their probably is small fragments of metal caught up in the filter. I hope this answers your question. O.H.D.

Last edited by Old Honda Dude; 03-19-2011 at 01:44 PM.