General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Problems on 2003 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Default Power Window Problems on 2003 Accord

2003 Honda Accord with front passenger power window problem. It's not the fuse; as I checked. With all the fuses out, all switches click when I operate them except front passenger one. I hear no sound at all. I have the door panel off and it appears window is on the track. What else can I check?

Window is down about 2inches and I need to get it closed before bad weather.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

If you have the door panel off, then disconnect the connector for the power window regulator/motor and apply direct 12 volt (+) and ground (-) to it to see if it is the motor. Do this only briefly, as you don't want to burn out the motor if it is good.

If the motor works, then it is related to the switch. If the motor doesn't work, then it goes without say....

Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM

I'm somewhat tech savvy; however, I'm not sure how to do this. I do have a digital multimeter. Can I check it with this and how?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

1. Locate the electrical plug for the power window regulator. Disconnect it.

2. On the motor side of the connector (not the switch side), apply direct 12 volt power from a 12 volt portable battery or the car battery. You can run long wires. I believe the connector on your passenger side should only be 2 pins. If it is a 2-P connector, it doesn't matter whether you touch negative or positive to which one (Like most motors, switching the polarity just reverses the motor direction). So one way, it goes up, the other way it goes down.

This link shows shows pictures I have for a 94 Accord; but, the concept is the same, as it is for most motors (e.g., door lock, power window, other types of motors).

Power Window Issue 94 accord Lx - Honda-Tech

Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Did some doing to rig up long wires; but I got it done. I had a 9 pin connector. 4 operated the lock and the other 5 must be for the the window. Anyways, nothing happened when touching the wires. No sound, click or movement of any kind.

I did manage to lock and unlock the door; however, with the other wires.

So do I have a bad switch or bad motor? I think it's a motor because neither driver side nor passenger side switch will operate window.

What's your thought and thanks for your help so far.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Although it may still be the motor, let me do try to do a little more research regarding your model year. Some newer Hondas have the anti-pinch operation on the power windows.

I'll try to post again when I may have a little more info. I have a few things to do right now.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

What trim level is your Accord (e.g., LX, EX, V6)?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Since I don't now the exact configuration of the plug you are working with, I can't tell you which pins on that plug to check for sure.

Let's try to narrow this down further. In the attached picture, it shows the power window regulator/motor for a 2003 Accord sedan. It has a 2-P connector that plugs directly into the motor. Disconnect this plug and apply direct power to the motor. If the motor work, then it may be related to the switch circuit. If it doesn't, then it is the motor.

This next stuff is just for informational purposes, I was thinking of other causes; but, it probably is not related to your problem. On your car, I believe it has the anti-pinch power windows. The power window motor incorporates a pulser which generates pulses during the motor's operation and sends pulses to the power window control unit. As soon as the power window control unit detects no pulses from the pulser, the power window control unit makes the power window motor stop and reverse. This is to prevent pinching your hand or fingers during auto-up operation. I was thinking about something else in my previous posts; but, your problem was it stopped when going down instead of up. The anti-pinch operation is not active if closing the power windows by the key cylinder (I believe LX and EX have this feature), you can close the power windows and moonroof (if equipped) by inserting the key in the driver's key cylinder and turn clockwise and release and then turn it clockwise again within 15 seconds and hold to close them. -- However, your problem doesn't sound like it has to do with the anti-pinch operation.

Attached Thumbnails Power Window Problems on 2003 Accord-power-window-regulator.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 02-21-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 PM

I have the EX. I did the test on the motor side and nothing happened so it must be the motor. Next question - can I buy the motor separate from the regulator or do I need to buy them together?

Where to buy and are there any after market recommendations?

Thanks,

Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

The regulator/motor is an assembled unit.

Honda OEM list price is $247.23, discounted internet price at dealers like Bernardi Honda parts, Majestic Honda, Hondapartsnow, etc. would be around $181 plus shipping.

I am not sure of aftermarket quality; but, you can get the unit for $48.79 plus shipping from Rockauto.

Quick Reply: Power Window Problems on 2003 Accord