General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling hair out on Tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Default Pulling hair out on Tranny issue

I could really use a hand on this car before I get mad and torch it. It is a 2000 Accord EX V6. I have installed a remanufactured and warranteed transmission. I needed to replace it for numerous reasons, one being that there was too much play on the driver side axle that allowed tranny fluid to leak when the axle moved in and out ever so little but enough that new seals couldn't keep contact with the axle. The car was pulling several codes but with the tranny replacement it is now down to just the P1705 code. I replaced the gear position switch. I tested the old one and it failed the tests. The new one is fine. However, that did not eliminate the code. Clear it and it is right back. I have the sensor installed and when the car is shifted the switch passes all tests with the ohm meter as per repair manual. Any ideas on what could still be kicking out the code. Just as soon as you shift from Park to reverse the code is tripped and the D4 light starts to flash.

I could really use a hand here. I don't think I like where this is leading, I have an idea but would like your thoughts. Thanks much!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Bad wiring or failed TCU are about all it could be.

Check the gear position switch from the TCU connector pins. If you get same results as at the switch connector, the TCU is suspect.

good luck

Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks, but that brings another question. Where is the TCU located in the car? I will try to look this information up and test the wiring as you mention. This is what I suspected.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM

On earlier models, TCU was located w/ ECU on the floor where passengers feet would go. Pull carpet back to expose.

good luck

Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

On those accords, the PCM is under the stereo in your car. It is also pretty close to the hump in the floor board.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Time for some clarification. When I go to car-parts.com to look for the TCU or whatever it is called today I look at "transmission computer" and then I get to chose from a long list that I don't feel comfortable with. Such as much of the stuff is located in the kick panels but they never really ever mention transmission computer but rather ABS, SRS, cruise control. Even Texas and PA don't use the same terminology. One calls it TCU and the other PCM. So then I look at "engine computer" in car-parts.com and I think that is the right area to be but I don't know for sure. On top of that they want to know if the unit I am looking for is CA or Fed/Canada. How do you tell which you have? How many names are there as I here PCM. PCU. ECM, TCM, TCU, etc. Thanks!

One final question is related to buying a used or tested computer, I see that sometimes they state it may have to be programmed by a Honda dealership. Is that just for the remote or for other as well? In other words, would it need to be programmed by the dealership and if so, how much would I be looking at?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

OBD1 accords had a control unit for the engine and one for the engine. They were called ECU and TCU respectively.

OBD2 started in for most 1996 accords (some 95 accords had obd2) and had one control unit that handled both the engine and transmission. That is called the PCM or ECM in the shop manual. Texashonda and I meant the same item.

As for programming, the PCM houses the immobilizer, so you have to get the car keys paired up with PCM. I have no idea about the cost, so you would have to call you local dealership or locksmith to see what they would charge to do this.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 AM

I am confused because I want to be sure I have the right box. The box I pulled has a number 39790-S87-A21. I believe this is the PCM but I need to know for sure. I am going to send it in for a rebuilt/reprogrammed one. However, you have told me that this is located in the center counsel on the floor under the radio. That box is clearly marked as SRS and almost every wire exiting or going to the box is green. The box I listed the part number for was located in the passenger kick panel. It has two plugs one is 12 pins and the other is 22 pins. When I run the VIN #1HGCG165XYA096597 it tells me it is a SE model but the car has an EX on the rear.

So

Have I got the right part, the PCM?
Is this unit really as rare as I am hearing?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM

YOu have pulled the ABS unit. I suggest getting a manual, even if you have to pay for it.

PCM is where I initially suggested to look, in the passenger foot area, beneath the carpet.

By refusing to buy a manual or look for one, you have wasted a lot of time.

Check autozone manuals for an image.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 03-05-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM

That is possible but you were wrong as well. I have two books but neither one correctly showed the location. It was behind a partition on the hump further back from the SRS computer. This car has proven twice now that it is a horse of a different color.

Quick Reply: Pulling hair out on Tranny issue