General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my hair out: Need to disable aftermarket alarm system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Pulling my hair out: Need to disable aftermarket alarm system.

Hello all, I've done searches on this and can't quite find an answer:

I was in the process of taking my dash bezel off to replace the gauge cluster with another one I got from Pick N Pull, when a friend reminded me that I should disconnect the battery so I don't accidentally trigger the airbag to deploy(ouch). So I disconnected the battery, did my business, and when I reconnected the battery I found out that I was the happy new owner of a '94 EX with an aftermarket alarm system(sans-remote).

All lights were flashing, no sound, and it would not start. So I did a search on the forums, and went looking under the steering column for the brain. Found a little black Viper Rattler 300 box, and two in-line fuses nearby. I took out the fuses upon everyone's advice, and it seemed to do the trick. Car started right up with no issues. Since then, the past three times I've tried to start the car, I got nothing. Turned the key and got dead silence. The lights weren't flashing or anything, but something was definitely preventing the starter from turning over.

Every time it's been near the same:

1) Tried to turn the key to start 2-3 times to no avail.

2) Popped hood, got out to make sure I didn't forget to re-tighten the battery cable. Closed hood & got back in.

3) Tried to start again, and viola! It came back to life.

(The third time I didn't get out or open the hood, but lightly moved the wiring around under the steering column thinking there might be a loose connection somewhere, and it started)

I didn't do a heck of a lot of jarring things around when I initially found the alarm brain and removed the fuses. But I'm really worried I've damaged something. Anyone ever dealt with this? Ultimately I'd just like to disable the thing completely.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

If this was my car, I would probably remove the alarm and get the car back to stock wiring setup.

I did a google search and found the link below for a viper 300+ alarm. Just copy and paste the link into your web browser.

directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/viper/N432V.pdf

This may be the owner's manual for your alarm. You will have to inspect to be sure. What you want to do is figure out what wire colors from the accord are connected to the wire colors on the alarm system. If this is the correct guide, you should be able to determine what color viper wires were connected to the stock wires. Then you can figure out how to get the car back to a stock setup. It should become obvious where wires were added and spliced on your car.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, PA. I printed the manual and figured a few things out. It starts but,...oddly it'll only do so when the driver's side door is open. I'd prefer to get it back to stock as well, thereby eliminating any further troubles with the thing(hopefully, if I get the right person to uninstall it). And as fate would have it: last night as I was selling my Bronco II and chatting with the buyer, his son turned out to be a Honda guru who used to work in a car stereo/alarm type of place. So I may tap him in the future for the uninstall.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Default Thank You PAhonda

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If this was my car, I would probably remove the alarm and get the car back to stock wiring setup.

I did a google search and found the link below for a viper 300+ alarm. Just copy and paste the link into your web browser.

directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/viper/N432V.pdf

This may be the owner's manual for your alarm. You will have to inspect to be sure. What you want to do is figure out what wire colors from the accord are connected to the wire colors on the alarm system. If this is the correct guide, you should be able to determine what color viper wires were connected to the stock wires. Then you can figure out how to get the car back to a stock setup. It should become obvious where wires were added and spliced on your car.
I just had to tell you, how you really saved me from having to ask someone to fix my vehicle. I had the transmitter stolen and had no idea how to disarm my alarm. (Alarm set to no start) Checked numerous forums before I found you and you my friend are the bomb! Saved my sanity with the manual. Thank you Thank you Thank you

Worked like a charm as soon as I checked out the manual and found out how to activate the valet button oh and of course found the button. Alarm was installed when I bought the car and had never lost the transmitter 7 years later. LOL Thank you again

Rocks

Last edited by Rockswealth; 06-27-2013 at 02:47 AM.