General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quarter tank of gas left = car shutoff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:52 PM
rube
Unregistered
Default quarter tank of gas left = car shutoff?

So ever since I bought my 94 accord, with 130k miles, I have had a problem, and one problem only (thank god) - ever time my gas reaches quarter tank or below, the car shuts off when I do certain things.

The certain things are:

When I come to a kinda of quick stop from high speeds, or even sometiems low speeds (the rpm drops then sometimes goes back up, but sometimes it just drops all the way and the car shuts off)

Second is when I have the ac on and its quarter tank and below, the car shuts down whenever I stop.

Is this a common problem or what? It is really annoying and embaressing when you have to turn on your car when your the first car behind a green light [:@]

Old 06-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Default RE: quarter tank of gas left = car shutoff?

Someones got to have some kinda answer to this question, I've never had that kinda problem my self - so I dont have any answers..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 AM
rube
Unregistered

Thanks for the fallacy of begging the questions lmao.

well it CAN be a few things:

1) the fuel pump

2) the fuel sensor

3) something else I forgot

Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It could also be the keyswitch. As you decelerate, the keys may swing and cause the switch to open and shut car down. I have had a very similar problem w/ my 94 EX, but it is so intermittent that I can't be sure, but suspect keyswitch.

This is a tricky problem to isolate between, Main Fuel Relay, Fuel Pump, and Keyswitch. I used a tell-tale light rigged to the fuel pump power supply line to verify I was not getting fuel pump run when power was applied. That cured a frequent, intermittentno-start, however I have since had a very rare (months apart) failure after heavy decleration at highway speed w/ low fuel. In main lanes of Houston traffic, this is a hair raising experience until it restartsin neutral while coasting(always thankfully).

A tell-tale light rigged to ignition power wire at distributor (blk/yel usually) should confirm if keyswitch is failing.

good luck

Old 06-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

The inlet for the fuel pump (in the tank) has a kind of nozzle & screen. If that falls off, then the pump inlet is not down at the bottom of the tank. It probably starts sucking air at about 1/4 tank.

Anyone know whether this is possible? I dont remember hearing much about it so its not real likely but maybe??

Old 06-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fuel pump is in a baffle (tube w/ small holes at bottom) should trap fuel to prevent loss of fuel supply due to sloshing or deceleration. Still it might be possible for fuel level to get low enough to cause a problem under deceleration.

good luck

Old 06-29-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm wondering if you're absolutely certain that a 1/4 tank of gas is left when your fuel gauge is reading 1/4. I used to cut it really close before filling up, and when the tank was really empty, even parking a slight downhill would make it hard to start, and there'd be a cut-out around corners. If you're actually running lower than you think it could be problem.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:30 PM

could also be a malfunction with the fuel guage itself. when it hits a quarter tank it could be sticking and then giving an inaccurate fuel read. but wouldnt the gas light come on when it got too low?

Old 06-30-2008, 03:34 PM
JKobielusz
Unregistered

I am having the same problem, however mine involves stalling going down hill. 94 EX W/ 132K. Got the car from my dad and he said that he just has been keeping more than a quarter tank in it. Not really an option trying to sell so if anyone actually knows whats going on, I would love to hear.I guessing the fuel pump.

thank you.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Same problem happened to an older buick of mine. Since it is a pressurized system, it shouldn't matter if the gas is sloshing about, but if there is a leak somewhere (talking vacuum leak here, not gas) it won't be able to suck the gas through the lines. Also; like someone previously said in this thread, the fuel pump has a bit of a resevior that should protect against that, but it isn't enough to keep a car running solely on that for more than a few seconds. We are talking like less than 1/2 a pint of gasoline.

I would check the gas guage first like someone else suggested; if it is just that then you are going to save yourself a lot of trouble.
Next I would check for vacuum leaks in your fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump, and tank. It also might be as simple as changing the fuel filter, when is that last time you have done that?

Quick Reply: quarter tank of gas left = car shutoff?