General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on water leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Default question on water leak

it rained last night the driver side floor mat is soaked with water and now it's raining again. has this happened to anybody before? none of the headliner is wet or the seats.
98 accord ex v6. It has a sunroof. my thought is maybe the drain is clogged. If it is would it dump on the floor? The shade was closed also and it was not wet. Or could it be the windshield. The molding around it is starting to lift off the paint now. I have to look more tomorrow at it.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:44 AM

The most simple way to find the leak is on a dry day run a garden hose over the car and get inside with a flash light and start looking. Sometimes if the plastic behind the door panel is nut sealed properly the water will come in at the bottom of the door and cause only the floor to get wet. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is a drain in the bottom of the door that can clog. This might allow water to enter cabin through door panel.

If sunroof drains are blocked this will usually drip around edges of sunroof interior opening. The "gutter" that catches drain water fills and overflows due to blocked drain/s. You can test by pouring water into the catch gutter and watching for draining from pax side front wheel fender well and driver's side rear wheel well. Test should be performed on nearly level ground.

good luck

Old 03-27-2015, 11:22 AM

Ok, well the car has been sitting for two weeks, waiting to get the tranny fix, it was pouring this morning so i got in the car and looked around to see what I could see. nothing was coming from the sunroof at all so it's not that. and noting i could see coming from the windshield. I'll check the door drain later.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM

It is usually the door when the water is only on the drivers side floor. Best of luck.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'm still with the moonroof drain tube. What happens is the tube slips out of the drain valve.

Attached Thumbnails question on water leak-6th-gen-moonroof-drains.jpg  
Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Did you buy the can brand new? If the owner , you or someone else,, had locked there keys in the car,,sometimes ,,the pop -a - lock guys will pry the door just enough to slide a tool in there to unlock the door,,great at the time,however it can bend the door frame just enough to cause a leak,,,just a idea,,

Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Found it, the sun roof drain tub came off.

But when I go to put in on it just taps the black rubber 90 degree bend. Its like to short by like a 1" I would say? I pulled on it and stuff and got no more length out of it? Is there a fix for this?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM

Glad you found it. You can put some compressed air through the drain lines, flush them with some water to see if the drain correctly and reconnect. If you need to retro fix it the hose barbs and proper diameter tubing will work fine. You can also take off the plastic cover that runs from the top of the door frame down to the top of the dashboard. Under that cover you should find the drain hose.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Not a fun job.....had this issue on 2 different 3rd gen's.

Before trying to replace the tube - not a fun job. Try getting some pliers in there and a good pull on the tube and see if you can get the added length. If so, what I did with mine was add some silicone sealant to the tube - not at the very end but back ~1/2 inch where the drain tube would just meet the end of the drain valve tube. You might have to remove/loosen the fuse panel to get a good grip on the tube.

If that doesn't work, let us know as I got one last "poorman" idea/trick that might work before you go for replacing the entire tube.