General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 AM
Default Quiet Exhaust Advice

Hey guys,

I'm really not a fan of loud exhausts and I like to get mine as quiet as possible. Currently, I have stock exhaust manifold --> test pipe --> resonator --> OBX twin loop muffler. This is on my Civic Si, so it gets pretty annoying at highway speeds (~4k rpm).

I'm not trying to spend money on a completely new setup, so I was thinking of adding another resonator. Either that, or replace the muffler for a quieter one. I've read that the Apexi WS2 is super quiet, but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag versus $100 for another resonator.

My understanding is that a resonator will tone down the noise considerably more than swapping the muffler. Do you guys agree with this or should I look into replacing the muffler?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 AM

No expert, but it seems like the quietest set-up is usually the factory set-up.
There is also the possibility of putting sound deadening between the pipes and the cabin.
Have you been under it with the motor running (lift is nice) to isolate the noise?
With a 15 year old car, the hangers and stuff can affect sound, mufflers can deteriorate.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:06 PM

Is this for your Civic? Either way go with factory B-pipe and factory muffler and it should be much quieter. Remember the muffler section is guaranteed for life through the dealer, unfortunately the B-pipe is not. This is all assuming the exhaust is not noisy due to loose fittings, spring bolts and doughnuts if you have them, etc., in which case look at those as the potential cause.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM

The main reason that I don't want to go back to stock setting is cost (~$200 for the muffler alone). I'd be shelling out more money and probably losing some performance. There's nothing explicitly wrong/broken on my current exhaust setup, just that the muffler is louder than I'd like (ideally, I want my car as quiet as a cemetery at night).

Old 07-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cukaracha
The main reason that I don't want to go back to stock setting is cost (~$200 for the muffler alone). I'd be shelling out more money and probably losing some performance. There's nothing explicitly wrong/broken on my current exhaust setup, just that the muffler is louder than I'd like (ideally, I want my car as quiet as a cemetery at night).
I rather doubt the factory setup will cost you any performance at all; Honda does a pretty darn good job at tuning their exhaust systems, and that is doubly true for the Si models.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

Between swapping my current muffler for stock, and adding a second resonator to my current setup, which do you guys think will produce a quieter exhaust?

P.S. I should have mentioned earlier that I'm most concerned with noise at cruising speed. At 70mph, my Civic's doing 4k rpm, and hence the noise. In normal city driving, it's bearable, although I can still hear it's low "rumble" inside the cabin.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:12 AM

I would go factory if it were up to me.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:40 PM

Man, I'm getting more and more convinced to go OEM... A few of questions about OEM exhaust setup:

1) Just to confirm, based on this link, there's a resonator in "Pipe B," correct?

2) Is the factory resonator typically quieter than aftermarket? Or perhaps tuned to eliminate the most offensive bands of noise given the specific vehicle?

3) Do these resonators deteriorate over time such that they lose their effectiveness?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM

Most any part of an exhaust system will deteriorate over time due to the extreme conditions created by the exhaust internally... and externally by weather, road debris, etc

What one should consider when replacing a system is 'back pressure'... both too much and/or too little is not good in the long run. The stock system was designed to be a match for the engine's requirements

Last edited by Prospector; 07-30-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Good post with good suggestions from the members..OEM always the quietest I'd say..

WheelBrokerAng

Quick Reply: Quiet Exhaust Advice