General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator fan wont shut off... help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Default RE: Radiator fan wont shut off... help!

check the drawing in my last post.
Check the relay for the condenser fan (it's the one bugging you and is for the A/C)
Good luck man

Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM

sorry once again total newb question, but how do i test to see if its working or not?

is there a way to unplug the rubber end? all i can see is a hardwire connection ending in that rubber tip..

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM

I have no idea how to disconnect that relay.

What i can tell you is that the temp switches A&B and the fan timer relate more to the main radiator fan (the one on the left) while it seems you have a problem with the condenser fan, so we've been looking in the wrong direction from the beginning.

Hopefully, you will figure out a way to unplug that relay.

I will check this for you tomorrow morning (It's midnight here for me / europe time)

I guess you can unplug the left fan motor connector and this should not impair the functionality of your other fan, meaning you should be able to drive your car safely without the condenser fan, and if you're in the us, i bet you don't need aircon in january but pls let's wait for confirmation from other members of this forum about the possibility of driving with the condenser fan disconnected. Don't take chances with your cooling system.

Good luck again

Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM

wow so sorry i didn't realize that was condenser fan! didn't mean to mislead you there..

i'll see if i can find a way to remove that connector...
it would be amazing if you let me know what you find out..

a big thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.. i'd be back at square one without your insight..

Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM

just a small precision about the condenser fan.

The fan motor connector and the fan relay are 2 different things.

About the connector, you should easily find it : look behind the radiator to the center of the condenser fan, that's where the motor is, you should be able to see a 2 wires cable running from the motor, follow that cable until you find a connector, it is probably secured on the radiator itslef to prevent the cable from dangling... once you unplug this connector, your condenser fan will not be juiced anymore.
Looking at the open hood, the connector is probably on your right.

While you're there, you could use a multimeter or a 12v lamp and follow the wiring backwards until you find the short circuit...

As for the relay, i'll try to look at mine tmrw and see if i can figure out an easy way to test/unplug it.

good luck

Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

The condenser fan relay is bolted to a bracket on the driver's side of the radiator near the top. There are two relays on there, one for the condenser fan and the other for the a/c compressor. Each have 4 wires going to it.

The wire colors going to the condenser fan relay are (white, yellow/white, blue/yellow, and green). It should be the relay closest to the front of the car.

You can easily unbolt the bracket and look under that rubber boot. I am guessing that you will need a screwdriver to hold the tab down and get some leverage on the plug. Maybe some WD-40 will work to loosen up the connection. Make sure that you disconnect the battery, because WD-40 is flammable and we know there is constant power going to that relay right now.

I will post some electrical tests on that connector in a minute. This should help you figure out if the problem is upstream of the relay.

Good Luck.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, here is what I can determine from my shop manual:

Labels:

A=white
B=yel/wht
C=blu/yel
D=grn

When you remove the connector, use a volt meter to touch pins A and C on the relay. The resistance (ohms) should be infinity (same reading as when you do not touch the leads).

On the plug that goes to the relay. Use the resistance or continuity setting to see if D (green wire) is grounded. Basically stick on lead on the pin D and touch the engine block with the other lead. You should have infinite resistance again.

Let us know what you find.