General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Default Radiator issue

1990 accord blew the top loose on radiator.
Are both fans supposed to run at the same time when cooling??
Passenger side fan was running when radiator blew top left fan was NOT running.
I plan on buying new radiator, but I want to make sure the fans are working before I put this all back together.
Any past experience by someone would greatly be appreciated.

Just for a good laugh for someone. We were up near Mnt. Leconte in East Tn when this happened. All we had to pour back into it to make it back to town was our drinking water and all of our Gatorade. It was for our hiking trip but it was for a better cause to keep the accord cool.

Thanks for any help......

Old 11-20-2015, 03:46 PM

The second fan only comes on at high temp or with AC on. Did the car have more power with the Gatorade??

Old 11-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by travrach
The second fan only comes on at high temp or with AC on. Did the car have more power with the Gatorade??
Not exactly.

In this gen, and many others, BOTH fans should run anytime the key is in the on position. The ONLY time one fan will run is when the key is off/out of the car.

OP - You can just the fans directly to 12v and be sure the motor(s) are good. Since you will have to remove the fans when you change the radiator it should be a simple test.

Let us know what you find.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:15 PM

Thanks for inputs.
And NO the Gatorade did not give anymore power, but we did make it back to my buddies house tho and we did continue our hike up to Mnt Leconte.
Will start disassembling when I get my mower project finished.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Not exactly.

In this gen, and many others, BOTH fans should run anytime the key is in the on position. The ONLY time one fan will run is when the key is off/out of the car.

OP - You can just the fans directly to 12v and be sure the motor(s) are good. Since you will have to remove the fans when you change the radiator it should be a simple test.

Let us know what you find.

Wow! Interesting. Do you mind posting some diagrams of how that works?

This is what I see for the Condenser Fan.

As you can see the "Condenser" Fan only comes on when the AC is on or the engine temp is above 226 deg F.

Regular Fan Operation Description:
Cooling fan operation is controlled by the fan timer module which monitors signals fromcoolant temperature sensor, and A/C compressor clutch operation. Timer operates cooling fan by controlling voltage applied to fan relay control coil. Battery voltage is applied directly from main fuse to relay switch circuit and timer bypass circuit. Voltage is applied to timer main circuits through ignitionswitch start and run contacts. Timer module controls voltage applied to relaycontrol coil circuit, and control coil circuit is completed to ground througheither thermo sensor or timing module. When current flows through relay coil circuit, relay contacts close and voltage is applied to cooling fan motor.

During normal operation, voltage is applied to relay coil by timer module and fan operation is thermo sensor controlled. When coolant temperature is approximately 190°F, current flows through relay coil circuit and voltage isapplied to fan motor. When coolant temperature is below 190°F, thermo sensor contacts open and cooling fan does not operate. When A/C is turned on, timer energizes relay coil and cooling fan operates as long as clutch remains energized.

When engine is turned off, timer module remains energized and monitors signalsfrom coolant temperature sensor. If underhood temperature exceeds 220°F, timeractivates fan relay and cooling fan is energized. Cooling fan will operate fora maximum of 15 minutes after engine has stopped or until underhood temperaturedrops below 220°F.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator issue-travrach-86873-albums-garage-accord-4220-picture-1990-accord-fan2-8314t.png   Radiator issue-travrach-86873-albums-garage-accord-4220-picture-1990-accord-fan1-8313t.png  

Last edited by travrach; 11-23-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by travrach
Wow! Interesting. Do you mind posting some diagrams of how that works?
I have a write up around here somewhere....easy search would be "threads" started by me, you can add "cooling" to the search and it should come right up. I've only started ~44 threads on here and some of those are in the "mod room" that won't show up in your search.

Your diagrams are hard to see on my computer. So I can't really follow them but let me be clear on one thing. When the key is "on/pos II" BOTH cooling fans will run if the "command" is sent.

On a 3rd, 4th, 5th Gen Accord - 86 thru 97 - (too lazy to look up/remember the 6th Gens) the ONLY time ONE fan will run is when the key is "off/out of the ign switch".

For giggle I looked it up - https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...similar-44973/