General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Default radio missing

The whole radio and surrounding mounting business is missing in my 92 Accord. I'd like to go ahead and put one in so I have something to listen to and to fill the "hole" in the dash, and properly trimmed out. I wouldn't care if it was OEM or aftermarket, just anything to get it filled up and not looking like this anymore:

So I was wondering if this I saw on ebay Radio Mount Single Installation Install Dash Aftermarket Kit w Pocket DIN | eBay looks like what I might need so would be able to get an audio unit of some kind mounted and trimmed out properly for the car. There's no junk yards or auto recyclers in my area so the idea of hunting around for a junked vehicle for the radio/parts is out. Any comments appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails radio missing-img_3410_zps2rrhlgv0.jpg   radio missing-img_3408_zps0jbuly1t.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 PM

You can buy an aftermarket radio, mounting trim and an aftermarket Honda wiring harness to clip the radio and the cars harness. The mounting trim/plate holds the radio in place, the after market radio wire harness wires to the radio so that you connect to the existing as shown in your pictures and don't forget to connect the radio antenna wire. All will be good.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Well not sure if you can tell by the pictures but there's already the remnant of another wiring harness clipped onto the existing factory harness but the wires have been cut when a different aftermarket unit had been removed already. I was thinking maybe if it'd work out I could just get that trim/mounting kit I linked from ebay and then just get a cheap used radio/audio unit of some kind (whatever could work from somebody) to slip in there instead of having to get a new radio altogether. Sound feasible or not really? thanks

Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

The 97 SE radio had a CD/radio without the cassette. Then you could install the tray to store stuff under the radio. It plugs into the factory wiring harness for the 92 accord. I think I got mine on Ebay from a place in Minnesota that sells OEM radios.

I figured I would give you another option to consider. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 PM

Yeah looks like this unit would be what you just mentioned, available via ebay: Honda CR V Accord Civic Prelude Odyssey Am FM Radio Stereo CD Player Factory | eBay So if I understand correctly, I might consider a unit like that, plus get that other mounting/trim as I linked in my first post, and that'd fix me up good?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

That is the unit. You may want to look for an OEM pocket and bracket on ebay as well. Not sure how the aftermarket stuff will fit.

I found the tray and brackets at a junkyard around 5 years ago when my original radio was having some problems.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 AM

Yeah I really think I'll try to hunt down an OEM pocket and tray/bracket, as well as hopefully the radio/CD unit from a 97 SE (I like that option, thanks for suggesting) used, from ebay or maybe an auto recycler place somewhere online. Or maybe get lucky if I look/inquire from the forum here too, who knows maybe a fair deal somebody would give me. That radio on ebay is too cost prohibitive with the shipping to here, 90 bucks to ship (Alaska). thanks again

Last edited by sgull; 05-27-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 PM

Carid has a Pioneer available for your car and it's on sale for $62.49

1992 Honda Accord Stereos at CARiD.com

Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Prospector
Carid has a Pioneer available for your car and it's on sale for $62.49
1992 Honda Accord Stereos at CARiD.com
Wow that's a nice unit. Thanks Prospector. Never heard of Carid before. If the shipping isn't a killer to me here in Alaska (I'll check with them tomorrow), I'll give it serious consideration!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 AM

Most welcome
Good luck

Quick Reply: radio missing