General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random, RPM drop even with gas pedal down

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Post Random, RPM drop even with gas pedal down

This is a very specific problem im having that i am completely unable to find any reference on. I already have a thought as to the cause, but here are the symptoms. It has only happen TWICE since ive owned this 95 Accord EX Coupe Manual 5 speed. While driving, both times in 1st to 3rd gear in the city moving pretty slow, both warmed up and cold, the car will drop to 1500 rpm and the gas pedal does nothing. By nothing i mean, to the floor or all the way off, it changes nothing, as if its disconnected. Give it about 5 to 10 seconds, and its back to normal. The first time a year ago, happened once and went away. Now, a week ago, it did it twice in the length of about a minute. Throttle body is after market billet, new TPS correctly plugged in, newer MAP sensor with spliced wires as the last one was falling apart at the end of the plug. But most importantly i think, the fuel line right before the filter is twisted down on itself from a bad attempt to remove the fuel filter about 2 years ago. This i think is the likely cause. I have a plan to replace the fuel line, pump, and sender already, but im trying to verify if any one else has dealt with this nonsense. If you want more info, just ask. It has a long history of my repairs and maintence.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mason James Mattias Roberts
But most importantly i think, the fuel line right before the filter is twisted down on itself from a bad attempt to remove the fuel filter about 2 years ago. This i think is the likely cause.
It could indeed be fuel starvation but I'd think you'd notice it more that what you state you do. I don't know for sure, but if I were to guess, I'd have to go with something amiss with the aftermarket TB and TPS. Call it a spurious signal or intermittent open in the circuit or whatever you like. Seems to me like it would be sensor related rather than a mechanical issue. I have the same year and model Accord as you and never experience any such thing. However, I've only had mine since February so that that for what it's worth. In that time, I've done the timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, shift shaft seal and radiator. Of course, a coolant, oil and transmission/gear oil change in the course of the repairs. No issues at all save for the lack of documentation regarding a timing belt change, water pump etc. I could be completely off in my thoughts on the diagnosis but since you identified the partially collapsed fuel line, you may as well change that out and eliminate it as a possible cause......sean

Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Thanks sean. I will do a double check of the TPS and its wires just in case. But like i said, the fuel line repair is basically ready to go, i just need another fitting and the time as im in school right now. Hopefully have this worked out by end of august. Any other suggestions are welcome. Note: i DID NOT use the crush screws with my TPS, i used bolts and nuts so i can remove if desired.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 PM

I empthatize....I'm in school right now too....last class.....and four weeks to go!!!! I just wanna be DONE already!!!!