General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reading SRS code

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Default Reading SRS code

Hello there,
First, the search does not work for "SRS code, SRS Light" type search patterns as I think this search needs more than 3 characters to consider it a "search string"

Now the real problem: I have a SRS light ON in my 2000 Honda Accord Coupe V6 Auto Tran. I spoke to the guy at dealrship and they told me that it takes $90 just to read the code.
I know how to reset the code, the "jumping option" and I did it once. However this time I want to read the code before I reset the code. So does any one know how to do this? Please help me. Thanks in Advance.

Unfortunately, SRS Mil cannot be read at Autozone, they only read Engine DTC's.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

You can short the brown and black wire together on the OBD2 connector. They are Pin1 and Pin 12. Verify the wire colors from behind the connector and make absolutely sure that you short only those two wires.

Turn the key to the II position, then count the SRS light flashes.

Got the info from this site:

alflash.com.ua/honda.htm

Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Thanks PAHonda, however I am not sure if that guy was talking about the SRS light there in that link. Also do you have any Lookup to map the codes to?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 PM

Ok, so I found out through a friend that the way to read the code for an 2000 HOnda accord ( and I will assume it must be same for the next gen too) is by shorting pin 5 and 9 and then Key-on and read the long and short flashes.

To understand the pin numbering please use the OBD1.5 standard pin numbering as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-boar...ostics#OBD-1.5

Just in case anyone needs it.

Now I have 9-3 code and strange thing is that the code does not repeat. It flashes once and then remains solid.

However I do not have any issues with my ABS at all but when I do the above procedure I got several codes out of my ABS, namely 8-1,1-3,1-7,6-1.

So can PAHonda or Jim Blake please help me understand the meaning of these numbers. I am more interested about SRS code 9-3 for now though.

Thanks,
Raj

Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Just to mention, I recently got my tires rotated, could this be the cause for the ABS flashes. Note: I do not have the ABS light ON when I am driving. It is only when I try to short the OBD2 connector and read the flashes that I get these codes..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a list of SRS codes.

My list of ABS codes is 94-97 so I'm not sure if it's the same?
1 3 high pressure leakage
(1 7 doesn't appear in the list)
1 8 high pressure system
6 1 fail-safe relay - Front
8 1 ABS function

Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like honda labeled the pins OBD 1.5, where OBD2 has different numbering for the same connector. That was why I wanted you to check the wire colors before shorting anything.

The 98-02 accord shop manual that you can download from the spooner link in the online manuals thread in the DIY section, has codes 9-1 and 9-2. Those are for the control unit. This shop manual covers non-US accords. I would check the SRS fuse is ok. I'll look at the 96 codes to see if there is a 9-3.

As for the abs, the codes I see are different on the 98-02. The first test is that the abs light turns on when you first turn the key to the II position. The next test is to erase the codes and see if the light comes back on. Since you light is not on right now, I would not worry about it.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks PA.. Sorry folks for leaving the thread abandoned without answers/solutions.. (I know I feel bad when I read a thread with out the final resolution) So finally I had taken it to the dealer and it was a part of the LifeTime SeatBelt replacement repair warranty.
Apparantly 1998-2000 accords had the seat belt issues for which Honda had issued a recall..
I hope it will help anyone who comes to this thread..

Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Hi everyone, sorry to resurrect this old thread. I just wanted to add for anyone who comes across it, my Honda Accord which is 2002 was also covered by the lifetime warranty.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Exclamation Correct Pins

Originally Posted by kingofudupi
Ok, so I found out through a friend that the way to read the code for an 2000 HOnda accord ( and I will assume it must be same for the next gen too) is by shorting pin 5 and 9 and then Key-on and read the long and short flashes.

To understand the pin numbering please use the OBD1.5 standard pin numbering as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-boar...ostics#OBD-1.5

Just in case anyone needs it.

Now I have 9-3 code and strange thing is that the code does not repeat. It flashes once and then remains solid.

However I do not have any issues with my ABS at all but when I do the above procedure I got several codes out of my ABS, namely 8-1,1-3,1-7,6-1.

So can PAHonda or Jim Blake please help me understand the meaning of these numbers. I am more interested about SRS code 9-3 for now though.

Thanks,
Raj
The correct pins are 4 and 9. 5 is a green and white wire which will blow the ACGS fuse. Trust me.

Quick Reply: Reading SRS code