General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake pad installation: Anybody have problems with caliper piston?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
rodmathews
Unregistered
Default Rear brake pad installation: Anybody have problems with caliper piston?

Hi,

I'm replacing the rear disk brake pads on my 2003 Accord EX, and I'm running into a problem I've never seen with any other brake job.

In a nutshell, I can't get the piston in the brake caliper to retract enought to install the new factory Honda brake pads. I got the passenger side done with a lot of effort, but the driver's side is just not working.

I first removed the lid from the master cylinder and took out some fluid, just like with any other brake job I've done in the last 25 years. No dice.

I then got the passenger side to work by loosening the bleeder valve so fluid could be pushed right out of the caliper. It takes a LOT of effort to get very small amounts of fluid to evacuate. Even opening the bleeder valve doesn't get the driver's side to work, and I'm cranking down hard enough with my C-clamp that I'm really worried that I'm going to damage something.

Note that I don't have the parking brake set, since that would seem to apply pressure to the caliper.

Any ideas? What am I missing???

Rod

Old 10-02-2006, 05:37 PM
rodmathews
Unregistered
Default RE: Rear brake pad installation: Anybody have problems with caliper piston?

I found a manual out on the internet that says the piston just needs to be turned clockwise to move it back into the cylinder. So THAT's why it looks like a gigantic phillips-head screw. ;-)

I'll try that when I get home today and see if it works.

Rod

Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Rear brake pad installation: Anybody have problems with caliper piston?

ORIGINAL: rodmathews

I found a manual out on the internet that says the piston just needs to be turned clockwise to move it back into the cylinder. So THAT's why it looks like a gigantic phillips-head screw. ;-)

A big screwdriver works good to turn them in. Make sure the parking brake works on the side you forced in. Hopefully it isn't damaged.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:08 PM
rodmathews
Unregistered

Thanks - good tip. I'll check that carefully.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Keep an eye on that caliper. It's possible that the handbrake will work, but it will no longer auto-adjust itself as the pads wear down.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:11 AM

most likely will have to replace or at the very least rebuild that caliper......

Old 07-01-2007, 10:49 PM

I just replaced all four with new pads last night. Cussing and yelling until I came in and checked this forum. Mmm, they screw in!! Thanks for the solution. The parking brake seems to operate normally, although I'm waiting for the new pads to "seat" a little. How do it do that??

Larry

Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Donex2003
Unregistered

I had the same problem......[:@]

Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 PM

Yeahhh....you don't want to force stuff in when you do your brakes. I feel your pain, brah. Just did my front/rears rotors and pads.