General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Default car won't start

i have a 98 accord v6 and recently the car doesn't crank over at times. most of the time it starts just fine but sometimes it would just crank and nothing happens. this is frustrating and i can't see a reason for why a car would do that. it its a part that's not working properly i wouldnt start most of the time and not once in awhile. anyone got any ideas??

Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: car won't start

You say it doesnt crank over. Then you say it cranks but doesnt start. Those are very different & indicate completely different types of problems.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:35 PM

ok when i turn the key to the on switch, the fuel pump comes on and the main relay clicks but when i turn the key to start, the engine just cranks and wouldn't turn over. i have to try it several times and it will start. I'm thinking it's the main relay, anyone have any other ideas before i go rip the main relay out??

Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Before digging into replacing/repairing parts, you should try to diagnose the problem first. Determine if the problem is fuel or spark related. Are the spark plugs and the other maintenance items up to date?

If you hear the fuel pump kick on when the car is not starting, then the main relay is likely doing its job. One way to verify this is to connect a test light from the 12V power source to the fuel pump (not sure of the color on your 98) to ground. Use one of those clip-on splicers from any autoparts store. If the light is on, then the main relay is working.

A timing light can be used to test for adequate spark to the plugs.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 PM

i just replaced the plugs not long ago with 20 dollar spark plugs. i thought it was the wires but the car seem to run fine after it starts. when the problem first started over the summer, the car would stall out after i get gas and then a couple minutes later it would start up again so that's why i thought it was the main relay. but now it takes forever to start and it seems to only happen when it's hot out. i also had the 100000 miles maintance done on my car. the timing belt and everything and the dealer said everything on the car is fine. I'm hoping it's the main relay