General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing Fuel Tank - problems - 91 accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Removing Fuel Tank - problems - 91 accord

I have:

1991 Accord Se
It must have been sitting in a puddle of mud for at least a year because its caked on underneath and there is a lot of rust on the fuel lines, struts and brakes.
I got under the car and started to unbolt and unscrew all the necessary parts but after I got the bolts on the straps to thread out completely, nothing happened.
I can't get the bolts out and neither the straps or the tank move very much in any one direction.
I can't find anything in the books about what is supposed to happen and I never encountered this problem with my CRX.

My goal is to get at all of the fuel lines to replace them.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Brandon

UPDATE: I found that there are nuts still attached to the bolts. I cannot get access to stop them from spinning. I don't know what is going on.
Were they welded at one time and because of the rust I broke them free?

Please help. I don't want to have to take this to a shop. I am also just replacing the fuel lines.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Default RE: Removing Fuel Tank - problems - 91 accord

Here's what I've got.... why can't you get to the nuts up top? I believe they were supposed to be welded at one point

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/E438C9BF3AD74011A6C8733FC9D605CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I was stupid not to look more closely because I thought it would be the same as the CRX where it is only bolted at the back. The accord however has bolts on all four corners.
If those nuts were welded on then I am in for a world of hurt because I will probably have to drop the rear cross member to take it all apart and get it back together.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:54 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Fuel tank is out.

It did require removing the two bolts at the front of the tank but this was not necessarily easy either.
Both the exhaust pipe as well as the heat shields were totally in the way.
I first unbolted the heat shield and realizing it was 100% in the way, I made the executive decision to destroy it. (I hope it does not become a problem).
With that out of the way I was able to get at the bolts. Once this was accomplished I was ready to drop the tank except the pipe was in the way.
I simply used some muscle and a light pry with a par and it came down.

The issue with the nuts on the end of the bolts that hold the rear strap on will be OK. With the tank removed I have full access to tighten them back up.

I am not mostly worred about the fuel line that I had to cut. Another executive decision. I believe it is one of the main lines running to the front of the car and I suspect I may have to pay someone to do the repair on this part. I suppose I could try it myself but I will be very nervous..

Thanks for lending a hand.

Brandon

Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM

I just did my fuel tank myself, here are a few tips:
Remove the bolts for the brake lines (easier to put the tank up)
Remove the bushing for the exhaust (the one near the rear passenger strut, this will lower your exhaust, giving you a bit more room to work with)
whe puttin up the tank, use A PEICE OF WOOD, on a floor jack with the car jacked up in the air... (assuming the car isnt on a lift or anything) Should only take you 25-30 mins to do this, i did it myself in 2 days time, 5 hours taking it out and swapping everything, and 35 mins to pop it back in, no problems. (also you might need to take of fthe heat shield for the rear pipe of the exhaust, that caused a bit of problems for me.

Also brandon: When you put your fuel line back together, make sure its NO MORE THEN 2 FEET of Fuel injection hose, You will fail saftey otherwise. You can cut your fuel line ( Dont cut it with pliers or anything, use a hack saw if your going to cut it with a VERY fine blade) and replace it with Fuel Injection Hose, DO NOT, **I repeat** DO NOT, get any other kind of hose for this, there are different types of hose you might end up buyng, but you need the black stuff, usually 1/4 inch will do for that run, throw some F/I clamps on there, and your set. After your done using the hack saw, make sure there is no dents in the line that could cause a slower flow of fuel, that can stall the engine, and cause big problems such as leaking.

Your other alternative is replacing the entire line.
Up to you, but its a decently easy job if you know what your doing. Good luck, post back if yougot any more questions