General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord problemz

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 accord problemz

1994 accord 4door automatic 2.2 4cylinder
recently, my fan has been coming on more frequently when the car is at a light or something and sometimes stays on after the car is off. I was wondering if this means trouble from a head gasket and i also noticed some oil coming from underneath the header heat shield in the front by the radiator and the oil does get less as time passes. Another problem i encountered was that in third gear the car does not respond (accelerate) the way it used to. I did have a used trans put in and was wondering if that could be restricting the throttle.
LAstly, hope i dont have to do it soon, if i wanted to do a swap, what is a good engine that would serve as a everyday kind(definitely not for racing), but have some flare as well. I was thinking of a H22.
Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks-

Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

The fans coming on means the engine temperature is above a set value. I noticed that more when my radiator was beginning to fall apart.

I would try to clean out the dirt in the fins by spraying water to clean out any buildup. Do not spray at high pressure, because you will bend the fins. I would also spray the a/c condenser as well. Make sure not of the fins are falling apart on the radiator. It looked like metal ribbons on mine.

As for the transmission, I would change the fluid using Honda ATF. You have to drain, refill, drive for ~10 min for thee cycles to replace most of the old ATF. Inspect the ATF for metal shavings and/or burning of the fluid. You can also try to clean the shift and lockup solenoids.

I am confused as to where there is oil leakage. Try to find the highest spot of oil staining. Oil can leak down the front of the engine from as high as the valve cover.

A H22 swap would give you 200hp vs the 145/130 (depending if you have an EX or and LX/DX). There are some some things that you would have to modify. I posted a link to a H22 swap guide in the DIY section so you be prepared to do the job properly.