General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace rear brake rotors on UK 2000 Accord

Old 04-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Default Replace rear brake rotors on UK 2000 Accord

My rear brake disc rotors are shot. Can anyone take me through the main stages of the job and in particular, removing the brake calipers which appears to be the trickiest part of the job? It's a 2000 model 1.8 SE Accord hatch

Is there an exploded parts diagram somewhere on the web?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

1.8 SE hatch?? That's NOT a USA model. Keep in mind that this picture is from a USA 2000 Accord EX 4-door. Hopefully the rear brakes are similar.

Remove the wheel/tire. Disconnect the handbrake cable.

There's a couple flat-head screws (#36) in the rotor - start soaking them with penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or whatever similar product you can find).

Remove the small bolts (#30) that hold the caliper. Slide the caliper off, which might be a bit tricky if it's tight. Maybe leave one of those bolts in loose & pivot the caliper like a hinge. Remove the pads.

Remove the larger bolts #32 holding the caliper braket.

Remove those flat-head bolts that have been soaking. The rotor "should" come off. Often it's stuck on with rust, so you might have to pound on it. If you're lucky, there's a couple empty threaded holes something like M6. Find some bolts, grease them up good, & use them as jacking screws to push the rotor off of the hub (#2).

No need to remove the dustcover #3 & the big center bolt.

Often the new brake pads will wedge tightly into the caliper braket. File down a bit (usually just the thickness of the paint) so they fit nicely.

You'll need to retract the caliper pistons to fit the new thicker pads & rotor. DO NOT push it straight in. You have to twist it like you're screwing it into the caliper. Make sure the rubber dust boot doesn't wrinkle & tear.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Default Diagram?

Many thanks Jim. Did you mean to post a diagram? Sorry, I can't see it. And you're right it's a UK model 4 door hatchback. Like this one

Old 04-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Try this.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...8401_b1910.png

Or go to hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
enter information (you won't be able to choose a UK Accord)
Accord
4-door EX
etc.
select REAR BRAKE as the category

I'm sure they won't ship to UK since the car is actually different. I'm gonna change the thread title. There's a few UK people on here; maybe someone will know a good place to buy parts.