General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace timing belt on 2001 honda accord V6 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Default Replace timing belt on 2001 honda accord V6 sedan

Hi guys
I'm in a process of replacing the timing belt for my 01 v6 sedan. I'm stuck at the power steering belt and Crank shaft pulley and have a few question.
1)Do we really have to remove the crankshaft pulley or is there another way around it to remove the timing belt cover?
2) We can't adjust our alternator belt because the belt has automatic tensioner but can we adjust the powersteering belt?

I'll post the DIY for this after i'm done. I've search around and it seems like there are alot of DIY for V4 but none for V6 model. Any one has any ideas please help. Thanks

Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM

if you have two belts then the p/s pump is adjustable but don't do anything till you loosen the nut on the crank pulley . it's the tightest bolt on your car and might not come off with a 1/2 inch impact gun .

Old 08-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Use some heat with a propane torch will help.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM

I tried to remove the crank pulley but it wont budge because I dont have the bolt remover tool yet. If I remove the crank pulley, how can I make the adjustment? ... Thanks..

Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 AM

forgot what the 3.0 p/s pump looks like but there is an adjustment . probably right on the pump. you take the p/s belt off before you pull the crank pulley . first make sure you can get the crank bolt off . keep the car in running condition in case you have to drive it some where to get the crank bolt cracked free.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You will have to remove the crankshaft pulley.

I recently used heat (propane torch on bolt head) and air impact (1/2" ingersol rand) to break bolt on Acura MDX 3.5L V6 which is somewhat similar to your engine.

It seems you don't have much experience or guidance. Suggest purchasing a shop manual from automanualsource on ebay for $21.99. He has one for your model. Easy to use and OEM manual.

PS Pump and serpentine belt tensioner must be removed.

Check youtube for a video on your engine. Probably anything in 98-02 would provide insight to your job.

good luck

Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You will have to remove the crankshaft pulley.

I recently used heat (propane torch on bolt head) and air impact (1/2" ingersol rand) to break bolt on Acura MDX 3.5L V6 which is somewhat similar to your engine.

It seems you don't have much experience or guidance. Suggest purchasing a shop manual from automanualsource on ebay for $21.99. He has one for your model. Easy to use and OEM manual.

PS Pump and serpentine belt tensioner must be removed.

Check youtube for a video on your engine. Probably anything in 98-02 would provide insight to your job.

good luck
I checked youtube and they have one video for Honda Odyssey which has similar engine. But, the guys didnt show how to remove the crankshaft pulley or timing belt cover. I google and there is a typing instruction for removing the crankshaft pulley and it's pretty straight forward. The only thing is I should pay attention to make sure i mark the crank timing mark location CORRECTLY with WHITE marker and use it for the same location on the new timing belt. Otherwise, it doesn't look complicated just time consuming.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by hobieslug45
forgot what the 3.0 p/s pump looks like but there is an adjustment . probably right on the pump. you take the p/s belt off before you pull the crank pulley . first make sure you can get the crank bolt off . keep the car in running condition in case you have to drive it some where to get the crank bolt cracked free.
I ordered a crank pulley remover tool from Advance auto part and it should be at my house this week. Good idea that keep the car in running condition just incase..

Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

The ericthecarguy website has a video on doing the V6 timing belt. That should help you out a lot. It was around $10 and his videos are pretty detailed.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
bpp
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by 01SilverAccord
Hi guys
I'm in a process of replacing the timing belt for my 01 v6 sedan. I'm stuck at the power steering belt and Crank shaft pulley and have a few question.
1)Do we really have to remove the crankshaft pulley or is there another way around it to remove the timing belt cover?
2) We can't adjust our alternator belt because the belt has automatic tensioner but can we adjust the powersteering belt?

I'll post the DIY for this after i'm done. I've search around and it seems like there are alot of DIY for V4 but none for V6 model. Any one has any ideas please help. Thanks
No offense but it seems like you are in over your head. I really think you need some help in either the EricTheCarGuy video and/or helms manual. You have questions on some of the easiest/simple stuff of the procedure.

When I did the timing belt, I used the starter blip method to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. I retightened it with the crankshaft holding tool so that the engine wouldnt spin when we torqued it. The most time consuming part was for me was removing/installing all the dang bolts to get the timing covers off. Another difficult part, that I would avoid, was we bled the coolant from the engine block as well as the radiator. There is probably a better way to do it then the way we did it. The engine was also supported on by a block of wood held up by a floor jack since the side engine mount was removed. We had to play around with the engine height at times to be able to access stuff.

We changed the timing belt, ps pump belt, accessory belt, water pump, antifreeze (of course), and timing belt tensioner. If I had to do it again, I would have also changed out the timing belt idler and tensioning pulleys. I think some ppl also change out the cam and crank seals but I didnt. You should at least inspect them I believe.

Quick Reply: Replace timing belt on 2001 honda accord V6 sedan