General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacement key fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:48 PM
Default Replacement key fob

Hello all,

The key fob on my 2011 Accord is just about on its last legs. The little screw that holds the 2 sides together fell out at some point, and I've had to put Scotch tape on it to keep it together. The fob itself still works, but I still purchased 2 new fobs from an online source, which had great reviews and the price was right. I just need to have the keys cut and the fobs programmed. Does anyone know where I can go to have this done (without having to pay the dealer a ton?) I know I can probably program the keys myself -- I've seen YouTube videos that show how -- but what about having the keys cut? Will a store like Lowes or Home Depot do this type of thing?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

For the most part, the dealership would have to do it. The transponder ID code in the key is a rolling-type code instead of a set code. Programming the Immobilizer (which is part of the PCM) is different than unlocking the doors, etc.

A special key cutting machine is needed to cut the key blanks for your model year Accord.

If you wanted to get one working key fob, you can get the new key blank cut, then insert the old key fob module into the covers. That will start the car without the reprogramming the immobilizer, as the transponder is in the module. -- But, if you wanted more working ones, they would have to be programmed, and at the same time.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Just a comment the little screw your referring to falls out of the "fobs" all the time. Are you trashing the key just because of that? I've bought extra screws a few times from my local dealership parts dept their like a couple bucks each not a huge deal. Now I regularly check the screws with a little jewelers screwdriver I keep handy just for that reason. It's a PITA but it is what it is I suppose.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the info! I didn't even think of taking the guts out of the one I have and putting it into one of the new fobs. When I bought the car used, the dealership only had the one key, so I don't have a spare. I guess that's why I wanted to buy 2 additional fobs. It was only $40 for 2 -- which I think is a good deal considering what the dealer charges. Again, I still have to have them cut & programmed, which is where there will be additional charges.

Again, thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by redbull-1
For the most part, the dealership would have to do it. The transponder ID code in the key is a rolling-type code instead of a set code. Programming the Immobilizer (which is part of the PCM) is different than unlocking the doors, etc.

A special key cutting machine is needed to cut the key blanks for your model year Accord.

If you wanted to get one working key fob, you can get the new key blank cut, then insert the old key fob module into the covers. That will start the car without the reprogramming the immobilizer, as the transponder is in the module. -- But, if you wanted more working ones, they would have to be programmed, and at the same time.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:33 PM

I didn't know you could purchase just the little screw. Live & learn, I suppose! As I posted in a previous reply, when I bought the car used, the dealer only had 1 key fob, so I've wanted an extra one for awhile "just in case."

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by dgp1961
Just a comment the little screw your referring to falls out of the "fobs" all the time. Are you trashing the key just because of that? I've bought extra screws a few times from my local dealership parts dept their like a couple bucks each not a huge deal. Now I regularly check the screws with a little jewelers screwdriver I keep handy just for that reason. It's a PITA but it is what it is I suppose.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:40 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Just as a spare you could also ask if you could just buy a "valet" key it won't have a Fob just an old school key. It'll get you by when you need a second key. Not positive I believe some of them may not work electronically though.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dgp1961
Just as a spare you could also ask if you could just buy a "valet" key it won't have a Fob just an old school key. It'll get you by when you need a second key. Not positive I believe some of them may not work electronically though.
A new blank valet key cut will not do anything, other than open the driver's door lock cylinder. The valet key would need the immobilizer transponder chip ID programmed into the PCM along with the all the other regular keys.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-06-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TCG1975
Hello all,

The key fob on my 2011 Accord is just about on its last legs. The little screw that holds the 2 sides together fell out at some point, and I've had to put Scotch tape on it to keep it together. The fob itself still works, but I still purchased 2 new fobs from an online source, which had great reviews and the price was right. I just need to have the keys cut and the fobs programmed. Does anyone know where I can go to have this done (without having to pay the dealer a ton?) I know I can probably program the keys myself -- I've seen YouTube videos that show how -- but what about having the keys cut? Will a store like Lowes or Home Depot do this type of thing?

Thanks in advance!
When I had to replace my broken key fob on my 06 CRV I found out that is a common problem. I bought an Eternity Key from Autonation Honda here is Roseville for about $89 as I remember. The parts guy said it's the toughest key on the market,and when he showed me the video I was sold. Worth the price for me.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:54 PM

I may have to go that route. I purchased 2 Honda-compatible keys through a website called REMOTESREMOTES.com. They were a great deal (less than $50 for 2 keys) but the Honda dealer refused to cut the keys because they weren't genuine Honda parts, and according to the service department tech, they've ruined their old key cutting machines by cutting non-OEM keys. I tried taking the keys to Lowes, but they also are unable to cut the keys due to not having the proper equipment. So, now I have 2 keys that I can't use. I guess you get what you pay for!

Originally Posted by Accordsrule
When I had to replace my broken key fob on my 06 CRV I found out that is a common problem. I bought an Eternity Key from Autonation Honda here is Roseville for about $89 as I remember. The parts guy said it's the toughest key on the market,and when he showed me the video I was sold. Worth the price for me.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TCG1975
I may have to go that route. I purchased 2 Honda-compatible keys through a website called REMOTESREMOTES.com. They were a great deal (less than $50 for 2 keys) but the Honda dealer refused to cut the keys because they weren't genuine Honda parts, and according to the service department tech, they've ruined their old key cutting machines by cutting non-OEM keys. I tried taking the keys to Lowes, but they also are unable to cut the keys due to not having the proper equipment. So, now I have 2 keys that I can't use. I guess you get what you pay for!
I heard the same thing that they wouldn't cut a non oem key, so I was surprised when the parts guy offered me the Eternity Key. He showed me the video and I was sold. I wont have to worry about the broken fob or screw problem again.

Quick Reply: Replacement key fob