General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC - NOT Cool

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Default AC - NOT Cool

Hi

I have a '98 Accord V6 Ex. The entire AC was replaced 3/2010 by the dealer. At that time the car was the property of my best friend in another city 400 miles away. I have the receipt with a warranty for 1 yr, 1,200 miles.

The AC is not cooling at all now. I hadn't used it very much because I live in a cooler climate so I'm not sure if it ever cooled to capacity, 60º, since I've had it. Now it doesn't seem to go below the outside temp, and it's been hot lately! I can't stand how hot it gets in the black car with dark interior.

I'm scheduled to see the local Honda dealer tomorrow. I'm concerned about their willingness to fix this problem....honestly. I have attended 10 years of auto classes so I've heard stories, especially since I'm a woman I'm concerned about their scamming me. I can't afford any dealer related costs. Do you think if they diagnose it to be something other than the warranty issue that I can take it elsewhere to perform the work?

If you have any ideas what the problem could be, I'd appreciate your input.

Last edited by rolling; 09-07-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

They should attach a pressure gauge to see if the system is still charged.

You can try some simple tests.

Start the car with the a/c turned off. Locate the a/c compressor pulley. There will be a clutch plate in front that should be stationary while the pulley is spinning. When you turn on the a/c, that plate should spin with the pulley. The plate is part of #11 and is the left most piece in the pic below.

Also, both fans should turn on when you turn on the a/c.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

“The entire AC was replaced” What was changed?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM

this is what i advise

take the car to a shop to find out what the problem is, you might have to pay a little money for the diagnose.. Once you know the problem, look at the receipt and see if it is something that the other dealer replaced , if it is ,call the dealer that performed the original repair and explain the situation , i am sure that they would work with you .. (well they should ,),and ask them how they want to go about it.. have the dealer in the town that you are in fix it and bill them ??
there is also a possibility that it could be a totally different issue ,, that is why you should have it diagnosed before taking any action

Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Angry AC-not cooling

Well I went to the San Francisco Honda Dealer for my appointment. Explained and showed my receipts under warranty. I asked if there would be any fee to diagnose the problem. He would charge only $329.00! That would be for charging it and running a pressure test. If determined it was the warranty parts and service, there would be no additional charges.
He told me that there would be no fee reversal, no matter what. I left!

I thank you all for your advice. I have a mechanic who can do the tests for around $50. If it is the Honda parts, I will take it to another Honda Dealer who told me they charge $140. to diagnose it. They said if it's Honda, the fee would be passed on to Honda.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 PM

ty for your advice. That's just what I'll do. Obviously I will never recommend SF Honda. Who do they think they are?

Originally Posted by deserthonda
this is what i advise

take the car to a shop to find out what the problem is, you might have to pay a little money for the diagnose.. Once you know the problem, look at the receipt and see if it is something that the other dealer replaced , if it is ,call the dealer that performed the original repair and explain the situation , i am sure that they would work with you .. (well they should ,),and ask them how they want to go about it.. have the dealer in the town that you are in fix it and bill them ??
there is also a possibility that it could be a totally different issue ,, that is why you should have it diagnosed before taking any action

Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM

The replacements are AC Compressor, clutch, coil & pulley, evacuated and recharged AC system.
New clutch set, stator set, Ac compressor, freon, costing $759.
Labor was $330. The compressor is an aftermarket unit.

I don't know if that could be the problem, but my friend said that they recommended it.

Hopefully somehow someway I get this done without spending a fortune.

ty kriss

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
“The entire AC was replaced” What was changed?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM

thanks PA
I'll take a look at this. I hope this area is visible, as I haven't looked at this engine too much. I'm used to the more mechanical look of my old '83 Audi.
I was able to do lots of repairs on that engine....even though it was a German car.... very straight forward.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
They should attach a pressure gauge to see if the system is still charged.

You can try some simple tests.

Start the car with the a/c turned off. Locate the a/c compressor pulley. There will be a clutch plate in front that should be stationary while the pulley is spinning. When you turn on the a/c, that plate should spin with the pulley. The plate is part of #11 and is the left most piece in the pic below.

Also, both fans should turn on when you turn on the a/c.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by rolling
The replacements are AC Compressor, clutch, coil & pulley, evacuated and recharged AC system.
New clutch set, stator set, Ac compressor, freon, costing $759.
Labor was $330. The compressor is an aftermarket unit.

if a Honda dealer did the job,, why did they use a after market compressor?? did you request that ?? I do not see that they replaced the receiver drier .I am very, very surprised if they did not replace it,, that's a no ,no