General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replacing the a/c compressor

Hey all, I have a 1991 Honda accord ex wagon and the compressor is leaking, so I'm going to replace it, but since it's the old r12 I'm going to have to convert it to r134, since I'll be doing that should I replace the old compressor with a stock r12 one from Honda and just convert the stock system? Or should I buy a different one that's made for r134? Any help or ideas would be appreciated, thanks!
-Rick

Old 07-18-2015, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Read through this thread about soldering a wire due to damage to the hvac circuit board. This may fix your problem.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...working-50944/

Old 07-18-2015, 06:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It's not a wiring issue, the compressor is leaking and needs to be repaired/replaced

Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

I think PA confused your thread with one that was near by....trust me it happens when trying to read so many things at once

Most, if not all, replacement compressors are compatable with r12 or 134. Of course you will want to do the full job. (drier, expansion valve, o-rings, ect). There are a ton of "how to" write ups/videos/ect floating around to help with what should be done when converting from r12 to 134.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the help!

Is there anything I should get that's geared more towards r134 or is it all pretty much compatible (except for the fill nozzles)?

Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 AM

Be aware that the ratio of PAG oil to volume and proper vacuuming is required for any replacement for A/C to function properly. It is not as simple as replacing a part and adding refrigerant.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks! My system is empty of r12, does anyone of y'all know the proper PAG amount? Or is it different depending on which one I get?

Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry about my first post. Poorman was right, my post was meant for another thread dealing with a/c.

There really isn't a compressor made for R-134a.

Converting to R-134a requires PAG oil in the system. If this was my car, I'd probably remove the lines and flush with a solvent (like denatured ethanol) to remove the mineral oil. Change all the o-rings throughout the system. The high and low pressure ports would need an adapter installed to charge R-134a.

I'd replace the compressor, condenser, receiver/drier, and evaporator if doing this to my car. I'd also replace the expansion valve. A/C repair is something you want to do once, do it right, then not have to worry about it again for a long time.

A new compressor usually comes with oil and instructions, so make sure it is the right amount of oil for R-134a.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No problem!

Thanks for the advice. I definitely only want to have to do it once.

So I should remove all the a/c lines from under the hood (I'm blanking on how many are under there, do y'all know off the top of your head?) and flush them with solvent and replace the orings and parts (any brand recommendations?)

Are they're any special tools I'll need to make the job easier?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 07-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

A flush of the system is something that I would do. The lines and condenser.

Special tools, nothing really fancy. Of course there is a vac pump and an AC gauge set that will be needed when you go to re-charge the system.

PA just went through "fun" of repair on his AC system. So his advise is a fresh memory . TX might also chime in and based upon where he lives...AC is very important and he has great knowledge of the system and repairing them.

Quick Reply: Replacing the a/c compressor