General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rims destroy honda Accords??!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Default Rims destroy honda Accords??!

I have had my 1997 accord since i was illegally driving it at 13, but lets not talk to much on that Lol. The thing is i recently destroyed my rear hubs. The mechanic said it was because of the rims i have on it and that they would continue to cause damage after i fix the hubs. But there only size 17 and i recently got the rims paint so i would like to keep them..is there anyway i can prevent the rims from damaging the hubs without replacing the rims Please Help!!confused:

Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, so it is the "hubs" where the studs are or the bearing?

The bearings should be fine unless the car is "really" lowered and placing stress on the bearing.

What I call the "hub" is the plate that has the wheel studs pressed into it. So if the rims are not seating properly on the hubs then it can and will cause damage.

Got pics of the damage...or is there a noise when driving down the road.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I can't understand how rims can damage the hubs. Unless they were put on wrong like not crossing lug nuts or if their rubbing on something. Pics would be nice if u can

Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM

Thats what i told them because my car isnt lowered and my tire/rim size is 205/45/17...and yes there was a loud noise when ever i reached about 55.... They told me that when i go over bumps that the rim would hit the Hubs...but i just cant see how ..uploading pics soon

Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

The rim bolts to the hub, so there is no way for the rim to hit the hub. Do you have a picture of the part replaced or a part number?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

The only thing I can think of is this.

If the rims do not have the correct center opening and or do not have the proper bolt pattern then damage to the hub can be done.

However, if you have all four rims on the car the same damage would happen on all of the hubs - front and rear.

Again with PA and others, can you show us a pic of the damage? I can't see anything in the ones posted.....but I'm old and can't see

Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

It may be a possibility of a gap between the wheel and the hub and incorrect lug nuts used.

If there is a gap, hub centric rings may fix the problem. Correct lug nuts should also be used.

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf

Why you should use the Hub Centric Rings? - HubCentric-Rings.com

Wheel Tech - Centerbore

Wheel Tech - Proper Lug Nuts or Lug Bolts

If the wheel center is too small, then you may have to grind some away if you want to keep the wheels.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Sounds like you're in need of a more experienced mechanic. . . .

Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Could it be that the mechanic was saying hub when he meant bearing? Maybe the rims have too much negative offset, putting too much load on the bearings.

Quick Reply: Rims destroy honda Accords??!