General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough idle/ CRUISE CONTROL

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Default rough idle/ CRUISE CONTROL

Hello, HAVE A 93 ACCORD 188K AUTO 4-DR -BOUGHT NEW.

CAR HAS NEW, WIRES ,PLUGS, CAP, ROTOR, FUEL FILTER, VACCUM HOSES, BATTERY, 02 SENSOR..

I JUST HAD TIME TO DRIVE THE CAR ON THURSDAY. AFTER ABOUT 2 MONTHS. (THX FOR THE SUPPORT BEFORE, VERY BUSY WITH FAMILY THINGS)
I WAS HAVING A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND CODE 43.

THIS HAS GONE AWAY AFTER CAR HAS SET FOR THAT TIME.. HAVE PUT ABOUT 200 MILES AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. WOULD COME ON BEFORE AT ABOUT 2-3 MILES OF DRIVING.
HAVE 2 PROBLEMS NOW.. A ROUGH IDLE THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE (100K AND UP), SHAKES STEERING WHEEL, GETS WORSE WHEN A/C IS TURNED ON. TRYED ANOTHER IACV (USED FORM A FREIND) NO HELP. WERE DO I GO FIRST.

ALSO CRUISE CONTROL WILL NOT STAY ENGAGE. ABOUT 2 SECONDS THATS ALL. ( WILL CHECK BRAKE SWITCH, AND VACUM HOSES LATER) ANY OTHER THOUGHTS.

deserthonda.. THX FOR YOUR HELP....KEN

Old 07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Default RE: rough idle/ CRUISE CONTROL

For the rough idle, i would say try to get your idle speed checked, i dont know where the screw is for 93 accord, but for 6th generation i belaive its located on the thortlle body, so you can check there.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:15 PM

I DID TRY TO ADJUST IDLE AT TB. BUT NO HELP... THX KEN

Old 07-30-2006, 11:38 AM

then it might be a bad motor mount.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: collierville

Hello, HAVE A 93 ACCORD 188K AUTO 4-DR -BOUGHT NEW.

THIS HAS GONE AWAY AFTER CAR HAS SET FOR THAT TIME.. HAVE PUT ABOUT 200 MILES AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. WOULD COME ON BEFORE AT ABOUT 2-3 MILES OF DRIVING.
HAVE 2 PROBLEMS NOW.. A ROUGH IDLE THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE (100K AND UP), SHAKES STEERING WHEEL, GETS WORSE WHEN A/C IS TURNED ON. TRYED ANOTHER IACV (USED FORM A FREIND) NO HELP. WERE DO I GO FIRST.

ALSO CRUISE CONTROL WILL NOT STAY ENGAGE. ABOUT 2 SECONDS THATS ALL. ( WILL CHECK BRAKE SWITCH, AND VACUM HOSES LATER) ANY OTHER THOUGHTS.

deserthonda.. THX FOR YOUR HELP....KEN
For the rough idle you need to determine if it is an engine miss or it is bad MOTOR MOUNTS assuggested by Hondaracer....,,chk the rear and frt especially...
if the mount are ok, ,, while engine is running, pull the plug wire 1 at a time to see if it is a miss on anyone particular cylinder ,, also pull the hose gouing into the EGR valve and see if it smooths out

As for the cruise, when you engage it , put your foot under the brake pedal and lift it upwards see if that keeps the cruise from disengaging

Old 07-30-2006, 04:09 PM

will check motor mounts.

checked on brake switch already. pulled up on pedal no help. i noticed that when you have brake pushed down the cruise will not even engage. i think this is normal.
when i pushed cruise button on wheel its latches for about 1-2 seconds then cuts out.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM

FOUND THE FRONT MOTOR MOUNT TO BE BAD.
I WILL REPLACE THE FRONT MOTOR MOUNT IN A FEW DAYS AND LET YOU KNOW. I WILL CHECK THE REAR ALSO.
.. I PULLED OFF PLUG AND HOSE AT DIFFERENT TIMES. FOR EGR VALVE AND NO CHANGE.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION.
I ALSO HAVE A 2002 ODYSSEY EX, WHEN I START IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE MORNING (TEMP 70 DEGREES) IT DOES NOT GO TO A HIGH IDLE. IDLES AROUND 800-900 RPM. ONE DEALER SAYS THIS IS CORRECT AND ANOTHER SAYS THAT IS NOT CORRECT. CAN YOU TELL ME THE CORRECT ANSWER, AND WHAT PART WILL FIX THIS IF ITS A PROBLEM.. THX KEN
.................................................. .................................................

Old 08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i think your idleing issues are going to be cleared with the motor mounts. does the oddessy have a j30 motor in it? when it was new it probly revved a little when first started but as they get older they will stop doing that. not sure why but that is normal as it gets older. if its real cold out it will idle a little higher when you first start it.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM

ORDERED 3 NEW MOUNTS (FR-REAR-SIDE) THEY WILL BE HERE NEXT WEEK.
I DO NOT KNOW IF ITS A J30 IN THE ODYSSEY, HOW DO I FIND OUT? ITS A 3.5 6CYL. THX'S FOR THE INPUT...KEN

Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 AM

is it a rough idle or a pulsating idle? low idle high idle? the IAC on the manifold that you can see is the easy one to replace and its for the ac wich most people replace first, why cuz its easy and/or they dont know about the one on the bottom of the manifold. if ur idle sits at normal speed, then it probably is ur motor mounts like lightshow said. also if u said u pulled a code 43 i think thats a fuel problem, check ur pump, filter, charcoal canister and things of that such.

Quick Reply: rough idle/ CRUISE CONTROL