General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM FLUCTUATES WHEN COLD

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
alariskirein
Unregistered
Default RPM FLUCTUATES WHEN COLD

HI: i'm new to this forum ,hope that somebody can help me out with the problem i'm having since 6 months.the problem is that every time when i start the car the rpm goes up to 3000 rpm aprox. the drops to 1000 or less and continues until the engine warms up .then works fine. and then from time to time do it again when i stop the car. another thing that i notice is that every time that i press the clutch when running to shift up or down the rpm goes up to 3000 again and sometimes get stuck and i have to lift the gas pedal a little bit and the rpm goes back to 600-1000rpm. please help. by the way i already check the iddle control valve and the electronic control air valve.i bought 3 of them on a junk yard and i don't think that all of them can be that bad to not show any diference at all. the reason why i didn't bougt it new is because they are soo expensive..the check engine light is not on. i already swap another ecu and is all the same. any ideas? any help will be appreciated. thank you guys.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: RPM FLUCTUATES WHEN COLD

What is the year and model of your accord?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM
alariskirein
Unregistered

sorry about that. it's 92 accord lx with ex engine.i have a electric super charger on it i'm going to remove it and put a factory air filter assy.what i'm plannig to do is exchange parts from a know good accord. a friend has one but it is automatic.but i think almost all the sensors an parts are the same. as always any helpor ideas are appreciated.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

This sounds like the fast idle thermo valve problem. It is #8 on the pic I uploaded. Search for FITV, because there are a lot of posts about it.

Here is a link that describes fixing the FITV. http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=699787

You basically unscrew the plunger, clean it up, and screw it back in as far as it can go.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5767/1F26DA1BF7994F429798EF5618EF9577.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-22-2007, 04:27 PM
alariskirein
Unregistered

ok thanks. that's what everyone think is the problem ,i already changed it 3 times (used) andmake not diferenceat all.i'm going to clean the one that is on the car .i'll let you know if works..and i'm going to clean the other sensor that is next to it .the one that has the 2 pin connector.i don't know how is called. thank you for your time. by the way what kind of cleaner do you recommend?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:31 PM

You could probably use just plain old de-greaser or carb cleaner... I've also heard of similar issues from a temp sensor going bad but I would try to clean that valve first and let us know how it goes.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:27 PM
alariskirein
Unregistered

i just cleaned the 2 sensors and adjust the fast thermo valve all the way down and lubricate it with wd40.let it stand for 10 min. and you're not gonna believe it,itworks!!!! .i'm sooo happy now. even the problem when i depress the clutch is gone. no more high rpm.now i just need to adjust the idle speed.
thank you guys. keep helping more people. if you need help with car audio electronics i'm at your service. i'been a car audio &security fr 5 years now.so any Question about car alarms let me know. by the way i use carb cleaner for the parts. ( a lot) i'm not sure if i can post my email here.anyway here it is .autoteamsecurity@hotmail.com.my name is Polo. i have some problems with a 89 civic station wagon where can i find help? thanx to Sir_nasty and PAhonda . .sorry about my poor english.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hey thanks for letting us know that your accord is running properly. Its rewarding to know that we helped you with the idle problem.