General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Lights & Dash Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM
KLN
Question Running Lights & Dash Light Problem

Hello,

I need some direction for this issue. The dash lights have flickered off and on for some time but now the running lights are out. I have had the fuses changed only to find the fuse was blown again (possibly, when the steering wheel was turned?). I have had the fuse holder :S checked by someone with a meter. The current is ok and it not being overloaded. The correct fuses are being used. The bulbs are good.

So at this point I have been told this is a wiring issue. Perhaps a pinched wire. I know I cannot fix this problem. I live in Donelson, Tennessee zip code are of 37214.

If someone is in this area and could direct me to a trustworthy mechanic who is not interested in taking advantage of a woman who has no mechanical experience at all I would greatly appreciate it.

I have asked other mechanics and I get "it is a wiring issue" and that seems to be true. What do mechanics with this type of experience charge? What can I expect to be a reasonable time to locate this problem? Anyone in this area or does anyone know anyone in this area that can fix this and is reasonable with charges?

Thank you,

Kenya

Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

A simple thing YOU CAN do is go ahead and replace all of the bulbs in the rear of the car. Stop and tail.....I know you say they are "good" but trust me there can be a fine break in one of them that will "short" over.

If that does not help there are a few more things YOU CAN do, I like testing but, that don't cost much. Like the front corner lamps and the rear running lights...small red ones in the lower part of the rear bumper.

Then I've got one or two more that still should not cost much to try. Again I hate to spend money on a guess but I'm thinking for ~$30 we could rule out a whole bunch of stuff.

I spent a long time in Memphis

Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
KLN

Thanks, I will get the bulbs changed and check back. I would consider this a victory if that is all that is wrong

Thanks again, Memphis

Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM
KLN

Changed light bulbs but that did not solve the problem. Trying to pack and move, sorry for the delay in replying.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Just so I'm clear, which fuse is blowing- number, amp and location (under dash/under hood).

Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 PM
KLN

It is # 19 i think. Standing in front of the car it is the left side fuse box under the hood. The amp fuse was correct but I forget the #. The car is at the house and I have moved. I will go back this weekend and see exactly which one it is. I am giving the car to my daughter to drive, so I need to make sure it is okay. She is not driving it at night, so do not worry. She is moving also and I need to get it fixed soon.

Thanks for your help

Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

We still need to figure this out, when it rains you/she should turn on the lights....if I'm right that is the law in TN.

Can you use this pic and give the fuse number?

Attached Thumbnails Running Lights & Dash Light Problem-5th-gen-fuse-panel-underhood.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM
KLN

All I can find out for now, it is a 15 amp fuse for the running lights. She is not driving in the rain.

Thanks Again

Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM
KLN
Default Fusebox Pics

Here are 2 pictures and the fuse that is blowing is circled in red.

Thanks again for your input.

Kenya

Attached Thumbnails Running Lights & Dash Light Problem-honda_fusecover_sm2.jpg   Running Lights & Dash Light Problem-honda_fuseinside_sm.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Another low-cost way of at least narrowing down the possibilities is removing all of the bulbs to see if it stops the fuse from blowing. According to the '97 wiring diagram I have, 15A "Small Light Fuse 32" power output goes first to the combination light switch (which includes the parking light and headlight switch). From there it splits into two, both RED/BLK wires, one going to the front parking & side marker lights and the other going to the rear parking, side marker, and license plate lights.

After the bulbs are removed, install a new fuse, turn the parking lights on, and check if the fuse blows. If it doesn't blow then turn the switch off and, one by one, install each bulb, turn the parking lights on, and check if the fuse blows.

If it blows right away with no bulbs then there's a problem either in the combination switch or the wiring.

Good luck!

PS: Turn the steering wheel back & forth a few times after all the bulbs are removed and the new fuse is in. That might tell you if the combination switch is shorting out when the steeering wheel is turned.

Last edited by Roader; 04-29-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: PS

Quick Reply: Running Lights & Dash Light Problem