General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

seat belt chime malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
soft_step
Unregistered
Default seat belt chime malfunction

meh, i just found the general tech section...posted this earlier in the electronics before seeing this better place for it. please read.

hey everyone, it's nice to see an accord owner forum.

i have a question about the seatbelt chime, and please don't tell me to just wear the seatbelt or whatever; this has to do with a malfunction on the passenger side automatic shoulder strap.

my friend out of town has a 1992 accord, i think it's an LX, but maybe a DX if they even made those. i'm going to visit this week and i'm trying to figure a fix for her problem for when i get there.

the problem: someone left the window down on the psngr side and it rained onto the automatic shoulderstrap while it was in the 'down' position (noone in the seat, door closed). The water ruined some sort of sensor in it, and now the seatbelt chime goes off incessently while ..1..noone is in the psngr seat, ..2..the car has a key in the ignition (engine on and off), ..3..the lap belt is plugged in.

i'm imagining that if i cut a particular sensor wire, that i could install a resistor on that particluar wire and trick the car into thinking that everything is fine, thus shutting it up (for good! [:@]).

my questions for you experts out there are, if you know or think you know ..a..do you think this would work, ..b..what color the wire to the lap belt sensor is, ..c..is there a sensor in the should strap buckle thing (the thing that slides on the rail to strap you in), and if so what color is the wire to that sensor? oh, and...d...what voltage does the seatbelt sensor use?

any help or insight to this problem would be appreciated. i've looked everywhere for an answer and i think that putting a resistor in the circuit may be it, but my car doesn't use power seatbelts so i've never done something like this before.

i'm not trying to render all of the chimes useless, just the passenger side seatbelt chime. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: seat belt chime malfunction

switch is shorted, you can take the unit apart and clean the switch and reassemble it to see if that fixes the problem, if not JY for a used one or Honda dealer for a replacement. Not covered under lifetime warranty since it is an electrical failure and not a seatbelt failure.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 PM
soft_step
Unregistered
Default RE: seat belt chime malfunction

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

switch is shorted, you can take the unit apart and clean the switch and reassemble it to see if that fixes the problem, if not JY for a used one or Honda dealer for a replacement. Not covered under lifetime warranty since it is an electrical failure and not a seatbelt failure.

i see...didn't even imagine it could be as simple as cleaning it. i figured it wouldn't be under the seatbelt warranty. thanks for the answer.

now just bare with me here for a second; assuming that cleaning it doesn't fix it, and figure that i don't want to give any money to the stealership, do you know how i could go about fooling the car's circuitry (maybe before the sensor) into being quiet?