General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelt Alarm won't go off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Question Seatbelt Alarm won't go off?

1990 honda accord exr, seatbelt alarm won't go off, this thing has the automatic seatbelts, the driver side auto belt doesn't work, all seat belts hooked up still getting noise, is there a way to disable this?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 AM

There should be a little wire with the harness under the seat. Just unplug it, that should do it.
My issue is the alarm wont come on, exactly opposite to your issue. But I believe my seat belt bulb is burnt in the dash.

I got these steps to deactivate the alarm from archives of this same site.

1) Buckle your seatbelt and turn the ignition key on.
2) Within 60 seconds, you turn the ignition switch off and unbuckle the seat belt.
3)Turn the ignition switch back on and wait for the seatbelt warning light to turn off.
4) Within 60 seconds, you buckle and unbuckle the seat belt at least 3 times, ending with the seat belt buckled.
5)Turn the ignition key off, and a single chime sounds to indicate that you have accomplished your goal.

Note: the alarm is there for a reason, dont drive without seatbelts, not only will the law get you, its the safety concern as well.
Good luck

Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by trijoon
There should be a little wire with the harness under the seat. Just unplug it, that should do it.
My issue is the alarm wont come on, exactly opposite to your issue. But I believe my seat belt bulb is burnt in the dash.

I got these steps to deactivate the alarm from archives of this same site.

1) Buckle your seatbelt and turn the ignition key on.
2) Within 60 seconds, you turn the ignition switch off and unbuckle the seat belt.
3)Turn the ignition switch back on and wait for the seatbelt warning light to turn off.
4) Within 60 seconds, you buckle and unbuckle the seat belt at least 3 times, ending with the seat belt buckled.
5)Turn the ignition key off, and a single chime sounds to indicate that you have accomplished your goal.

Note: the alarm is there for a reason, dont drive without seatbelts, not only will the law get you, its the safety concern as well.
Good luck
heheh, trust me, everyone and myself wears a seatbelt when I drive, they've already saved me once, but this ringing the whole time is just too annoying, I read somewhere that Honda is suppose to fix this for free, because they apparently have a lifetime warranty on seatbelt systems.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Yup I read that too, there is a warranty on the seatbelts, but I am too lazy to go to the dealership and dig up the papers for the same.
However, did those steps work for you? or did unplugging the harness under the seat do it?
The steps worked for me once when I tried it, but then it burnt the bulb in the dash, so I have no alarm for the seatbelts now. But I do wear them, just like you do

Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by trijoon
Yup I read that too, there is a warranty on the seatbelts, but I am too lazy to go to the dealership and dig up the papers for the same.
However, did those steps work for you? or did unplugging the harness under the seat do it?
The steps worked for me once when I tried it, but then it burnt the bulb in the dash, so I have no alarm for the seatbelts now. But I do wear them, just like you do
What do you mean "but then it burnt the bulb" this these steps contribute to the bulb? I wanted to try it...but...

Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Seatbelt warranty is probably related to USA federal requirements. Warranties are not always the same in different countries. With luck, they do Canada the same way as USA???

Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM

I mean the seat belt bulb on the dash went out on me after it worked just once. I never bothered to change it as I have to take out the whole dash.
Dont worry, these steps have been tried by many people and worked perfectly to deactivate the alarm, infact I gave the instructions to my friend and he tried it in his civic and it worked.
May be my seat belt bulb was too old so it burnt out since it had not seen any current going through it for a long time and suddenly it got the jolt and burnt out. So, its one in a million case I guess. But it will take out(i mean deactivate) the alarm for sure if not the bulb. Try it, the instructions are for 5th gen, but I dont see why it wouldnt work with your generation.
I believe the instructions are for all honda's.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I tried the steps in this thread...nothing...The warning chimes still went off when I neglected to buckle up. It's also not in my owners manual, I'm surprised it (supposedly) worked for so many people. If this was an option in my model (2009 EXL) I strongly believe the manual would print instructions.
I buckle up anyways and don't really care, just sayin... Why it works for some people and not others is beyond me.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 AM

yeah i tried unplugging the harness, nothing, ill try the lil tutorial from above, I'm gonna take by the dealership also and see watups with that warranty, I'd rather have them fix it right, because now I'm noticing myself forgetting to buckle up because of the stupid automatic seatbelts... the driver side one doesn't go back and forth when u open and close the door, passenger one does, but it seems when i open the passanger door the beeping stops, if i keep passanger door closed and open driver it still beeps so i think the issue is on the passenger side... stupid safety regulations...

Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Look for the chime behind the driver side kick panel. Try disconnecting the 2-P connector.

Attached Thumbnails Seatbelt Alarm won't go off?-chime.jpg  

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Alarm won't go off?