General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Series 6 - 4 cyl EGR port cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
dlolstad
Unregistered
Default Series 6 - 4 cyl EGR port cleaning

Hi all. I have a 1999 Accord EX with the 2.3 V-Tec and 150,000 miles. No noticable problems with the exception of the check engine light. I am getting the "Insufficent EGR systemflow" code. I have replaced the EGR valve, cleared the code and it comes back. From reading here I am assuming the next step is to clean the EGR port. I see procedures for the V-6's and older 4's but nothing for the series 6. Would appreciate directions on this. Thanks.

-Dano
1999 Accord EX 2.3

Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Series 6 - 4 cyl EGR port cleaning

Remove EGR, use something to scrape and get all the built up carbon and gunk out of the hole. If you're feeling really adventurous, remove the top half of the intake manifold and clean in there as well.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: Series 6 - 4 cyl EGR port cleaning

i had a slight stumble in low rpm upon accelaration, and upon reading info on this board, i knew that it wa time to clean my egr valve and my egr ports. I took the fuel rail off, took the port plate(if that what it is called) up, scraped the inside of the housing with a small flat head screwdriver, it was very clogged, then i cleaned it with $2 carb cleaner, also cleaned the metal gasket. Then i got a small phillips head screwdriver and cleared the egr ports holes, all of the port holes was completly clogged except one(the one on the end near the egr valve) so i took the flat head and scraped what i can, took the carb spray and cleaned the port holes. After that, i took the egr valve off did a little scraping, and cleaned it with the carb cleaner. Put everything back together, and wow, it drives with no stumble at all. I will highly suggest that anyone who has a lot of miles on their car, and havent done this yet, do so. This is my first time, and it took me under an hour to do on 5th gen, thats with me having to go get the carb cleaner(15min round trip).