General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shift Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Default Shift Solenoid

Can anybody recommend the best place to buy a AT shift solenoid for a 2002 3.0 Accord Coupe. My car has thrown a P0780 code twice in the last 2 weeks. Both times were early in the morning when the car was cold. It runs great with no shifting probelms at all so I am pretty sure it is just the solenoid. I would consider even buying a used one.

Thanks,

Danny

Old 10-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

The 98-02 V6 transmissions were known to fail way earlier than you would expect from a Honda. This could be a sign of that.

I would unplug the connector to the solenoid (see attached pic for location). Test the resistance between each pin and ground (valve cover bolt works as a good ground). Both readings should be close to each other. I can't remember the range right now. Also make sure the connector has no crud in it.

I would remove the solenoid by removing the two bolts. Clean the screen on the seal between the solenoid and the transmission. Also clean the solenoid of any debris.

If all else fails, I would get a part from a junkyard. The shift solenoid should be pretty easy to access.

Attached Thumbnails Shift Solenoid-02-trans.jpg  
Old 10-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am considering a used one since they run around $200.00. I don't think its the tranny because it still stills shifts great with no revving or hard shifts ( up or down )

I knew about the problem before I bought the car. I knew a long time Honda tech who worked for a large dealer in the DC area who told me that half the transmissions they replaced only needed a solenoid which were known to fail when they got the slightest bit of corrosion on them. I think he said the reason for the failed tranny's was the lack of thread lock in some part of the transmission and when they failed it very soon after the code was tripped.

I did get the same code twice about 20K miles ago and didn't come back until now. I change the fluid with Honda brand only about every 9 thousand miles.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM

I am having the same problem. 1999 accord v6 auto. first thing in morning when cold trans wants to slip and high rpm before shifting into 2nd. if i allow car to warm to operating temp, car shifts perfect. having read several comments, i believe i need to inspect oring and screens for shift solenoids but for the life of me i can not find them/it on the trans itself. i do not want to just start removing components to find it, i would like to know where to look and start to get to it. please help?????

Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Is the attached picture not helping?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Yes the picture did help me find it. I was able to test resistance and then the solenoids, ok there. I seem to be having a real hard time removing the solenoid connector from whatever the bracket it is that is holding it in. I have not yet removed the solenoid assembly to inspect the screens/filters and orings.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:14 PM

I have the same problem on my 2000 Accord SE model (VTEC 2.3L - 4 cylinder) transmission. In the early morning it will rev high in first gear, then shift hard into 2nd gear. Only does this first thing in the morning. Transmission was rebuilt about 20K miles ago. Transmission shop says it's out of warranty (beyond 1yr) and now wants to charge me to replace the solenoids. Would like to replace one or more solenoids on my own and save the money. How do I know which solenoid is involved? Does it have solenoid A, B, or C? Any sensors I need to worry about too? Any advice on how I can proceed?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

I'd also change the trans fluid, be sure to use Honda Trans fluid.

Excessive shock or flares on 1 -2 or 2-1 shifts, I'd then inspect/test shift C.

Attached Thumbnails Shift Solenoid-6th-gen-trans-solenoids-4-cyl.jpg