General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Term/Long Term: 2000 Acc 2D EX MT vs 2008 Acc 4D LX-P MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Default Short Term/Long Term: 2000 Acc 2D EX MT vs 2008 Acc 4D LX-P MT

Hey everyone, was wondering what some short term/long term implications are concerning purchasing a 2000 accord ex coupe MT vs a 2008 accord sedan lx-p MT.

Buying my first car and I have been looking for weeks, and these two seem like my best bet.

2008: 2008 Used Honda Accord LX-P Sedan at World Class Motor Cars Serving Downers Grove, IL, IID 8450491

2008 Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report on 1HGCP25408A141139

2008 TSB: 2008 Honda Accord TSBs | CarComplaints.com

2000: 2000 Honda Accord, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

The 2000 seems to be extremely clean with the leather interior. I have been scouring this forum and it seems like only the 2000 AT has bad issues with the transmission. The car only has 106k miles so I would HOPE to get another 100k at least before deciding to sell it.

The 2008 is obviously newer with 37k miles. It also appears to have some modifications (Si rims?, different calipers/rotors (drilled), aftermarket shifter ****). I read about the excessive brake pad wear on the 08s, and that is probably why whoever had it previously changed the rotors/calipers. I also noticed there was a TSB about oil consumption. How do these TSBs work? I can just bring in the list of them and inquire about each issue? Do they have to fix them free or at a discount?

I know there are too many variables (prior users, what maintenance they did, etc.) to give a definite answer. I emailed the seller of the 2000 for a copy of the CarFax, but aside from not being totaled/adverse title, it probably won't show too much minor maintenance, but who knows.

I expect to get a conservative $500 from my trade in and will have saved $1000 to either give the dealership or my credit union.

I don't have TOO much disposable income per month, but I can comfortable afford a 200/mo (so 350 conservatively with insurance). The only thing, is once I buy that 2000, I'm going to be pissed if i have to put a bunch of repairs on a credit card.

Any other opinions besides "test drive it, have a mechanic look at it, then decide"?

Just started my new job so I can see myself both either getting a cheap car and 4 years down the road trading it in for a nice new car or getting a newer car (the 08) now and keeping it for a while.

New car buying makes me want to throw my head through a wall.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I like my 6th Gen Accord. it runs well but... is beginning to corrode in spots. I have already replaced rusted rear brake lines, and I think that I see a front caliper in my future. The hood has some rust just forming on the very front. I am planning on driving it till 170k then looking for a 2000 EX Coupe 4cyl manual!!

Having a car with over 100k miles, you should always budget for 1000-1500$ a year for repairs, maintenance, and tires, to keep it running well. if that is not to your liking, get something newer, but realize that a newer car will need that 1000-1500 a year sooner or later. Also, newer cars have much more expensive treads than do 6th Gen Accords. That and having a vast array of available parts is one of the great features about older Accords.

The 2000 EX Coupe looks like a fair deal. Just make sure that the timing belt has been done. 105,000 mile service has been done.

BTW this is what the 105k service looks like.

Last edited by MysticBlueEX; 04-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Technical service bulletins are to help Honda technicians resolve certain issues. They are not warranty items, unless specifically mentioned. At 37K, the bumper-to-bumper warranty is already over. There is still the power-train warranty left. Also, noted that even if an extended warranty was purchased, it is not the same as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. If you brought a TSB to them and it is not a covered warranty item and no goodwill is extended, then they can give you an estimate for the service, like any other service...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the clarification redbull. It seems the most major TSB for the 08 MT is the 3rd gear popping out... hopefully it won't be a pain to address that at the dealership.

With the 08 I would probably be able to land a pretty decent rate between the credit union i'm part of, Chase and the dealership.

Powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to a would-be third owner though, correct? It says nowhere that it is a "certified" used car.

That 2000 was in California the whole time so no salt which is very nice. I will email the guy today and see if he has records for any maintenance (along with a nice list of 105k maintenance for him )

I think I'm leaning towards the 08 just for peace of mind and the leverage to possibly get a great deal (relationship with the owner, it has aftermarket parts and is a manual).

I like the look of the 2000 but unless I can really confirm its in great shape and everything is up to date.... may be too risky.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Also- i know this is probably an unanswerable question... but any idea what the dealer probably gave the guy for the 08?