General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shuddering/Shaking when driving (worse when braking)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Default Shuddering/Shaking when driving (worse when braking)

Hey guys, I've been looking for a solution for 3 weeks now, but have found none. I drive a 2011 Honda Accord LX.

I currently use 215/60 R16 Hankook H724 Optimo tires. I bought them on December 20th, 2013.

tl;dr: Steering wheel would shake violently when going 70-80mph, switched out all 4 rotors (warped) and brake pads, now steering wheel doesn't shake, but the car shudders mildly while driving and moderately while braking (even light braking, worse when hard braking). I had my car aligned and tires balanced as well. Any tips?

The details:
My car had warped rotors, so whenever I drove at 70-80mph and stepped on the brakes, the steering wheel would violently shake left to right, and my brake pedal would feel like it was fighting against me. I had all 4 rotors and brake pads replaced by a mechanic friend who has worked for Nissan in service for 20 years. I'm not sure this is relevant, but the road leading up to his house is purely dirt, and reminds me of the rumble strips/treads on the freeway when you veer off the road. It's a long road, so I'm thinking something may have caused an issue, a loose part or something, not sure.

Once he replaced them, the first day felt normal, braking and driving was OK. The next morning, I started to notice a moderate shudder whenever I braked. The brakes feel good though, they're very responsive. Reaching speeds of 60-80mph doesn't shake my steering wheel anymore. I'm assuming the warped rotors was the cause of my steering wheel shake. But I never had regular shudder/shake before I replaced my brakes and rotors.

My friend recommended I take my car in for a balance, tire rotation and wheel alignment at either Honda or Goodyear, as he couldn't do it for me at Nissan. I thought an alignment would be unnecessary because my car wasn't veering left or right. Letting the wheel go would produce a straight affect, but what do I know. I took my car to Goodyear for the balance and rotation since I bought my tires there, and took it to Honda for the alignment. None of these options worked. A few days ago I started to feel the car shudder while I was driving. Either it's been happening since the replacement of brakes/rotors, or this is a new development within the last few days.

I'm at a loss. I don't want to spend more unnecessary money. Honda insists I do another balance for $50 at their own store. Goodyear wants to inspect my car for troubles for $50. I'm already $300 down the drain for everything thus far, so I need something more concrete to spend my money on instead of guesses.

Please let me know if you guys need any further information. I appreciate the help. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm completely a newbie here.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:12 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I would say a bad set of tires, take it back and see if they will warranty them, hope you got the road side asst.