Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member
2012 Mazda Mazda6
My Garage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: El Paso tx
Posts: 290
Default Slow Acceleration with A/C On

Finally have the A/C working well for the summer but the only problem is it makes the car run like crap. Really sluggish acceleration. Noticed that this also would happen during the winter if I used the rear defrost.
Any suggestions on a fix??
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
__________________
Current Vehicles -
2012 Mazda6 i Sport
1994 Honda Accord EX

Previous Vehicles -
1998 3000gt SL
1991 Dodge Stealth
1995 Eagle Talon TSI FWD
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,641
Default

You probably have some testing/maintenance to do.

Disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables with a wire brush or sand paper.

Stop by a parts store and have them test your battery and alternator.

Get some white out and draw a line on the face of the crank pulley from the crank bolt to one edge. Drive the car and turn on the a/c and/or rear defrost. When you return home, check that the line is straight. That pulley is actually two metal pieces connected by a rubber piece that can can break and possibly cause this problem.

Does your check engine light turn on while diving?
__________________
2005 Acura TSX MT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Almost A Senior Member
2012 Mazda Mazda6
My Garage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: El Paso tx
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhonda View Post
You probably have some testing/maintenance to do.

Disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables with a wire brush or sand paper.

Stop by a parts store and have them test your battery and alternator.

Get some white out and draw a line on the face of the crank pulley from the crank bolt to one edge. Drive the car and turn on the a/c and/or rear defrost. When you return home, check that the line is straight. That pulley is actually two metal pieces connected by a rubber piece that can can break and possibly cause this problem.

Does your check engine light turn on while diving?
Battery is 2 weeks old and I have tested the alternator and it checks out fine.

I'm thinking its the pulley. And no, no check engine light.
__________________
Current Vehicles -
2012 Mazda6 i Sport
1994 Honda Accord EX

Previous Vehicles -
1998 3000gt SL
1991 Dodge Stealth
1995 Eagle Talon TSI FWD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PNW, USA
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ex915 View Post
Finally have the A/C working well for the summer but the only problem is it makes the car run like crap. Really sluggish acceleration.?
On every 4 cyl car I've owned I've needed to turn off the A/C switch if I was going to do a hard vehicle pass.
Noticeable improvement in acceleration.
__________________
Accords:
1992 Accord EX, 5 sp, 230,000 miles
1997 Accord, auto, 235,000 miles
prior:
1993 Accord LX, 5 sp, (to son @ 230,000)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member
2012 Mazda Mazda6
My Garage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: El Paso tx
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
On every 4 cyl car I've owned I've needed to turn off the A/C switch if I was going to do a hard vehicle pass.
Noticeable improvement in acceleration.
Its just odd because I have been in other cars just like mine and they have no problem driving with their a/c on.
__________________
Current Vehicles -
2012 Mazda6 i Sport
1994 Honda Accord EX

Previous Vehicles -
1998 3000gt SL
1991 Dodge Stealth
1995 Eagle Talon TSI FWD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 28
Default

Have this same problem so most times i drive with out ac nd i live in fl so yea. Could this be a result of a bad tranny as well ?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1991, 1994, 94, ac, acceleration, accelerationfor, accorc, accord, air, conditioning, conditon, honda, increase, low, sluggish, switch


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.


Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for HondaAccordforum.com content, comments, or advertising. HondaAccordforum.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaAccordforum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.

Emails Backup