General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow acceleration and surging on 2007 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Default Slow acceleration and surging on 2007 Honda Accord

Hello! I'm sorry I'm new here so please let me know if I need to post my question elsewhere. I am driving a 2007 Honda Accord 4-cyl automatic. I have about 144,160 miles on it.

I've been having trouble with my Accord for about two years now. It started with the engine light coming on and the car would be very slow in acceleration and it surges once it gets to high speeds. Eventually the engine light would go off and the car would run like normal. It was like that for a while, switching back and forth. But lately, the engine light just stays on and the slow acceleration and surging continue. I also noticed that the car would reach up to 4 or 5 rpms in high speeds then suddenly drops to 3 then goes back up to 4 or 5 and stays there. Recently, I had an issue in which the car would stall while idle (it never did that before). So I finally took it to the shop and they found P2138, P2122 and PO171. The lady also mentioned that there is a crack to the air filter tray(?). But she said she has never seen that crack being a problem before. So I opted to not get the air filter tray fixed. So they cleaned the TB and reprogrammed it and retested the app sensors. And for a couple of weeks, the car was running fine until the same old problem came back. So my questions are, what is causing this problem and how much does it normally cost to get this fixed?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

P2122: Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor A (Throttle Position Sensor D) Low Voltage

P2138: Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor A/B (Throttle Position Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

P0171: Fuel System Too Lean

1. The P2122 and P2138 may still be a faulty APP sensor. The list price of the APP sensor is around $160. Internet Honda dealer about $115 plus shipping. Probably less than 1/2 hour labor; easy to replace. See attached photo of APP sensor.

If you use Honda e-store, it will be at discount price and you can select a local dealership for pick-up to avoid shipping charges. If you are having a shop install it, you may want to check with the shop first. Some shops don't allow the customer to bring their own parts.

2. P0171 can be caused by many things. But, since you mentioned the crack to the air filter tray, it may be part of the cause.

Your car has a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, that is on the air intake assembly. It may be dirty and can be cleaned. CRC makes a Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner that is available at Walmart and auto parts stores; about $5- $7. (See attached photo and image for info.)

Attached Thumbnails Slow acceleration and surging on 2007 Honda Accord-app-sensor.jpg   Slow acceleration and surging on 2007 Honda Accord-maf-sensor.jpg   Slow acceleration and surging on 2007 Honda Accord-p0171-maf-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-29-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Go to a parts store like autozone and ask them to read your codes. Post the current codes on here, then we can start helping you troubleshoot.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:56 PM

PAhonda, I've taken it to Autozone to have the codes read when I started having the problem. They never gave me the exact codes, but they suggested that it's possibly my O2 sensors. I had the O2 sensors replaced and still the same problem. I'm leaning towards the cracked air filter tray. It seems related to the issues like clogged TB.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks redbull-1. I think I'll look into those issues. As I said, might be the cracked air filter tray. The air filter does look cleaner than it should be. I'll post more whatever solution or problems I might find.