General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke from around the exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Smoke from around the exhaust manifold (Video)

I have smoke coming from around the exhaust manifold but I can't pinpoint where it is really coming from. I'm hoping some of the experts may have seen this before and can point me to the right direction. I have recently had some oil leak and I was able to determine it was coming from the distributor o-ring. I have since fixed it and I thought it would also fix this issue thinking the oil was dripping onto the exhaust manifold. I then changed the side cover gasket but the smoke persist. The smoke start about 3 minutes after my initial start of the engine and then the engine will stall after about 15 minutes. The temperature stays normal even after or before the car stalls. Does anyone know where ist may be coming from or the cause of the smoke and stalling? I have attached a video to help identify the smoke.

Thanks

Last edited by gpro; 09-19-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Why did you say stalling at the end of your post and mentioned nothing else regarding it stalling? First look for fluid drips onto and above the manifold. FYI it sounds like there is a bad bearing or over tightened drive belt and I think I can also hear low end knocking.

If it is also stalling you may want to provide a detail description of when it does it.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Cover on side of cylinder head would be my first guess. It would leak directly onto exhaust manifold.

Regarding stalling. Is Check Engine Light On? If yes, what codes are present? Does engine die at idle or stop running at speed? Details necessary to help.

good luck

Old 09-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what does it SMELL like? it looks like a gasket leak

Old 09-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Why did you say stalling at the end of your post and mentioned nothing else regarding it stalling? First look for fluid drips onto and above the manifold. FYI it sounds like there is a bad bearing or over tightened drive belt and I think I can also hear low end knocking.

If it is also stalling you may want to provide a detail description of when it does it.
The stalling happens when the car is at idle for 15 minutes while I look for the source of the smoke. Thank for your input on the other issues I will look into it after I fix this one.

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Cover on side of cylinder head would be my first guess. It would leak directly onto exhaust manifold.

Regarding stalling. Is Check Engine Light On? If yes, what codes are present? Does engine die at idle or stop running at speed? Details necessary to help.

good luck
I have replaced the side cover gasket already thinking it was the source of the smoke. I can't see anything leaking out but the smoke seems to appear right in the middle of the exhaust manifold. I don't have the check engine light on. No codes. The engine has died when the car was running on the freeway and also died at idle. Seems to die when it warms up. The temperature gauge stays at a constant a little below mid-level.

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
what does it SMELL like? it looks like a gasket leak
I don't smell anything specific like a sweet smell or anything. Would the gasket leak from the manifold gasket comes out with a similar smoke? The leak seems to be coming from the top of the exhaust manifold and the head gasket is below the manifold.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well antifreeze should smell sweet
oil has a strong un mistakable smell to it and so does any other petroleum product.

If your exhaust is leaking I would expect you to hear a sputtering sound

Old 09-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Regarding stalling, if Check Engine, Oil Pressure, and Alt lights stay off when stalling occurs, then ignition switch assy failure is likely. This is a common problem for Accords.

Discovering source of oil leak may require removal of components to assess. Distributors can leak through the distributor (internal shaft seal fails). This is common in older Accords. Look for oil beneath the distributor vent on lower side of distributor. Ordinarily this would not reach exhaust manifold, but the arrangement of this V6 is not typical.

If not leaking from valve covers or side plates, then head gasket would be a suspect. Inspection w/ a mirror may be possible.

good luck

Old 09-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Regarding stalling, if Check Engine, Oil Pressure, and Alt lights stay off when stalling occurs, then ignition switch assy failure is likely. This is a common problem for Accords.

Discovering source of oil leak may require removal of components to assess. Distributors can leak through the distributor (internal shaft seal fails). This is common in older Accords. Look for oil beneath the distributor vent on lower side of distributor. Ordinarily this would not reach exhaust manifold, but the arrangement of this V6 is not typical.

If not leaking from valve covers or side plates, then head gasket would be a suspect. Inspection w/ a mirror may be possible.

good luck
I took off the exhaust shield, radiator fan and the exhaust manifold and I cleaned it out. I don't suspect it to be the head gasket because the smoke seems to be coming from above the exhaust manifold. I read on another forum the same symptoms on a civic that it could be a exhaust valve stem seals. How can I test if it is my valve seal?

oil leak from exhaust manifold gasket - Honda-Tech

Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Valve stem seals leak internally, either upwards into the valve cover or downwards down the valve stem and onto exhaust or intake valve (both can leak). Engine will smoke when this oil leak is burned.

If oil from head gasket leaks downwards onto exhaust Y-pipe smoke could arise.

good luck

Old 09-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Restricted Exhaust?

Valve stem seals leak internally, either upwards into the valve cover or downwards down the valve stem and onto exhaust or intake valve (both can leak). Engine will smoke when this oil leak is burned.

If oil from head gasket leaks downwards onto exhaust Y-pipe smoke could arise.

good luck
Could the exhaust be restricted and causing the smoke to come out of the weakest point at the exhaust manifold gasket where it meets the head? Will removing the O2 sensor help me determine if there is restriction in the exhaust?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Smoke from around the exhaust manifold