General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

spark plug wires blow off spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Default spark plug wires blow off spark plugs

Greetings,

I recently bought a 93 Accord LX with about 180,000 miles. I have no idea of what work was done to this car before I bought it.

So far, I've put new spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets, oil filter, new oil, partial new exhaust, and two new tires.

I'm have a number of problems but two concern me right now.

The first is that when I changed the spark plugs and wires, the spark plug holes were all filled with oil and the spark plug wires would blow off the spark plugs on #1 and #2. I changed the valve cover gasket, the valve cover spark plug gaskets, and the spark plug gaskets under the rocker assembly. I'm still getting a little bit of oil in #2 spark plug hole and the wires are still blowing off #1 and #2 spark plugs about once a month. I had one person tell me it might be a head gasket but I haven't found any info on this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

My second problem is that when the car is cold (with the weird weather here, our weather is running from single digits over night up to mid 50's at times during the day), the clutch pedal goes almost to the floor and it's very hard to shift into gear, mostly 1st, 2nd, and reverse. After the car warms up a bit, the pedal slowly comes back up and the shifting is fine until the car sits for awhile. I've topped off the master reservoir which was down a little and filled the slave reservoir which was almost empty and adjusted the pedal. Neither helped. I'm assuming that some combination of the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, and both reservoirs are leaking, although I haven't seen any signs of leaking.

I'm low on cash and don't want to fix anything right now that doesn't need replacing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen some brands of wires that don't seat properly. Suggest OE or NGK wires.....and NGK plugs.

Check for leaks coming from the slave (under the boot) or the clutch master (either engine side or most of the time inside the car)....ps there is ony one res for the clutch and one for the brakes....if no leaks you might try bleeding the clutch, i.e. new fluid, just like changing/flushing the brake fluid.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM

I changed my spark plugs today and there was a lot of oil in the spark plug holes. Is this a bad thing?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Hondahonda
I changed my spark plugs today and there was a lot of oil in the spark plug holes. Is this a bad thing?
I bought a '93 with 182,000 and found the same, but no issues.
So put in long life Iridium plugs and new valve cover gasket set to address oil presence and
have made a point not to check it again: 235,000 before gave it to son this winter.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by sirtwist2
... Neither helped. I'm assuming that some combination of the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, and both reservoirs are leaking, although I haven't seen any signs of leaking.
1st guess: clutch hydraulic system has air bubble and needs bleeding.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hondahonda
Tube seals are leaking.

? too lazy to look, I'm pretty sure the LX has two sets. You can try just the uppers first and see what happens.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 PM

With the engine fully warmed up, remove the oil filler cap and see if it chugs smoke and fumes like a locomotive.

Let us know.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 AM

Greetings,

I recently bought a 93 Accord LX with about 180,000 miles. I have no idea of what work was done to this car before I bought it.

So far, I've put new spark plugs, spark plug wires, valve cover gaskets, oil filter, new oil, partial new exhaust, and two new tires.

The first is that when I changed the spark plugs and wires, the spark plug holes were all filled with oil and the spark plug wires would blow off the spark plugs on #1 and #2. I changed the valve cover gasket, the valve cover spark plug gaskets, and the spark plug gaskets under the rocker assembly. I'm still getting a little bit of oil in #2 spark plug hole and the wires are still blowing off #1 and #2 spark plugs about once a month. I had one person tell me it might be a head gasket but I haven't found any info on this problem. Anyone have any ideas?
I'm still getting quite a bit of oil in the #1, #3, and #4 spark plug tubes. It seems to have stopped in the #2 spark plug tube. How else can oil be getting in there? Should I do the rocker arm assembly again? I would really like to take care of this!

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 AM

I'm still getting quite a bit of oil in the #1, #3, and #4 spark plug tubes. It seems to have stopped in the #2 spark plug tube. How else can oil be getting in there? Should I do the rocker arm assembly again? I would really like to take care of this!

Thanks!
What have you done so far to fix the problem? Did you change the tube seals with new ones? Did you check for "blow by" as I suggested? We need to know what has been done so we can help.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Quick Reply: spark plug wires blow off spark plugs