General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer no longer works

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Speedometer no longer works

Hello:

I just had the head and cylinder gaskets replaced on my 94 Accord EX. Driving it home I noticed that the speedometer and odometer were not working. Is there a cable that they disconnect while doing this type of repair? I read some info regarding a speed sensor, could this be it? Worked fine prior to the repair. No engine lights are on. Lights work on dash. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance
npinto97

Last edited by npinto97; 10-15-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Does the cruise control still work?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

VSS is on the transmission housing and would not necessarily be removed during cylinder head work, but could have been released electrically for access/space. The VSS is below the thermostat housing. You will need to remove the air intake duct to view.

IF VSS is not working both speedometer and odometer will not work and cruise control will not work. Additionally, you should have D4 light flashing and perhaps CEL flashing. You can extract codes by shorting service check connector and reading flashes. D4 code for VSS is 4 short flashes. CEL code is 17; one long (2-3 secs) + 7 short flashes.

See following link for additional VSS info. http://techauto.awardspace.com/.

I repaired my VSS by cleaning the sensor, parts, and relubing. It's seems to be working fine so far. The VSS is difficult to remove due to one bolt nearest engine block, but it can be done w/ persistence.

good luck

Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Wow. You guys are right on with the symptoms. D4 started to flash, no cruise control. CEL 17. I will take a look at the VSS link and give it a try.

Thank you

npinto97

Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I found the problem. As I pulled out the air filter tube I could see the 3 wires hanging (they were pulled out from the wire harness). The clips are still attached to the wires. Now the issue is to try and figure out which wire goes in which position back into the harness. I believe one was yellow, one blue and one orange. I was able to disconnect the wire harness from the sensor but very little room to play with regarding wire length and pushing the wire clips back through the harness holes. Most likely necessary to bring it back to the shop if I can't get it.

Regards
npinto97

Last edited by npinto97; 10-17-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Found the wiring scheme in the link. Now the hard part, fishing the wires through the harness clip.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Your description is a bit confusing. Are the connector pins to the VSS pulled out of the connector? If yes, release the connector from the VSS to allow better access to reinsert them into the connector.

Whoever did your cylinder head work bears some responsibility, as they must have pulled quite hard on the wiring to pull the pins from the connector.

The pins may be damaged and not reseat adequately to allow a good connection. In that case, you may need to source a new connector pigtail from a salvage harness. Warning, it this is necessary you may have to buy the entire used harness to get the connector and wiring you need. Check car-part.com for potential suppliers.

good luck

Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes. The 3 wires with their connecting pins were pulled out from the connector. I was surprised when I just saw them hanging there. The shop mechanic may have not even realized it when he was removing parts to do the head gasket. I was able to disconnect the connector from the VSS and see if I could push the wires back through but decided against it. As you say, I might have to replace the connector.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 PM

A short term solution might be to individually stab the sockets onto the pins of the VSS. It will be difficult to reach and you must be careful to connect correct sockets to pins.

good luck

Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

That thought crossed my mind but as you said, it is difficult. Lets see what the shop says first. They also have been good in the past.

Thanks