General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't

Old 03-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Default Speedometer works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't

Sometimes it works just fine and sometimes it just stops all together. There isn't any rhyme or reason for it happening. My odometer doesn't work for the while that the speedometer doesn't. Its a great way to keep miles lower but it still sucks when it comes around time to change the oil. It has about 186,XXX miles. What could be the cause?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Tai_Boi
Unregistered
Default RE: Speedometer works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't

I don't think the odometer stopping is a good thing.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Either your speedometer is bad or the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is bad. Is your check engine or D4 light on? If so, pull the codes.

If your cruise control works when the speedometer and odomoter are not working, then the speedometer needs repaired.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I've seen corroded connector pins on the vss also. Especially on the intermittent ones.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 AM

I was never fond of using cruise control to begin with but I gave it a try last night while the speedometer was working. I turned the switch on at the left behind the turn signal and tried to set the speed at 60 and although the cruise control light was on, I didn't feel a difference and it felt simply as I had taken my foot off the gas. After dropping 10 mph I just switched back.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM

happened on ym 94...and its typical of that generation. usually have to repair or replace the speedo head, though you'll want to rule out any VSS issues first.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Yeah I'm trying to diagnose the same thing on my 95. But the cruise on my 95 works all the time. I do have a CEL, but I've been too lazy to pull the codes. I am fearing it is something inside the speedo head.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Yeah I'm trying to diagnose the same thing on my 95. But the cruise on my 95 works all the time. I do have a CEL, but I've been too lazy to pull the codes. I am fearing it is something inside the speedo head.
What trouble code does it have stored?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

What trouble code does it have stored?
It's my wife's and I never drive it since she can't drive my 5spd (refuses to learn how.) I still need to go pull the code on a weekend when I have time. she has a Garmin that tells her how fast she is going anyway. that's why i haven't been quite as worried about it.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

The signal HAS to split somewhere, going to 3 places...
1 - speedometer/odometer
2 - ECU
3 - cruise control

If it throws a CEL along with a flaky speedometer, that might imply that it's not a bad speedo, but rather a break in the circuit somewhere that's still connected to both.

If you can get it to screw up the speedo & throw a code while the cruise still works, that should help narrow down the location of the break in the circuit.

Detailed circuit drawings from a Helm book FTW!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't