General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Spitting sputtering orrible idle 94 accord

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Spitting sputtering orrible idle 94 accord

recently changed bad starter. Ran ok for a while but idled super high rpms.
eventually it dropped to super low rpms and started the spitter and sputter missing .
It will spit sputter miss and then catch and run like it is supposed to.

I checked CEL code and am getting 3 7 and 12.
I accidentally left the paper clip in when I left where I was , with clip in it ran fine not spitting or sputtering and missing still slightly low rpms.

Question is curious if I have messed up the ecm because I did not jump it when I removed alternator to get to starter , afraid timing got off and it is trying to reset ? would that cause those codes to throw

Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Are the wire colors going to the map sensor (on top of the throttle body) yel/wht, grn/wht, and wht/yel? Or are they grn/blu, red/blk, and yel/blu?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

green and white

Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

There should be three wires going to the map sensor. Do your wire colors match the first set or second set of colors I posted earlier?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

first set

Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

The electrical connectors for the map and the tps are the same. You have them hooked up properly.

Check the vacuum hoses that go from the EGR valve to the EGR vacuum controls that are on the driver's side of the car. The Honda vacuum hoses have numbers on them, so I think the EGR controls have the number16 on them. There should also be a sticker under your hood showing how the vacuum hoses are routed.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Removing the alternator or starter you don't need to jumper the SCS connector, so that doesn't screw anything up.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The electrical connectors for the map and the tps are the same. You have them hooked up properly.

Check the vacuum hoses that go from the EGR valve to the EGR vacuum controls that are on the driver's side of the car. The Honda vacuum hoses have numbers on them, so I think the EGR controls have the number16 on them. There should also be a sticker under your hood showing how the vacuum hoses are routed.
Quick cursory check I did not see anything loose or looking out of place .. but I have been hearing a hissing sound coming from that area for about 10 seconds after shutting it off .. sounds like it is on fire wall on right side

Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Remove the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. Put fuse back in (this clears the codes). Start the car up and wait for the check engine light to turn on, then turn off the car. Recheck the codes. Let us know what codes come up.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

will do in the AM.. wife is yelling at me some in for the night

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spitting sputtering orrible idle 94 accord