General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing sounds that increases with speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 PM
fitchpuckman
Unregistered
Default Squealing sounds that increases with speed

hello, this is my first post here and keep in mind, this is NOT MY CAR, so please forgive me if i lack sufficient info. i got a questions from my friend (300 miles away from me) and it is killing me. she tells me that her accord (2000 SE - 4 Cyl) is making some sort of loud sqeal, metal-on metal type noise, and that the noise is louder with increased speeds. She alleges to be able to hear it with music on. i have inquired about the potential of the brake squealer, but she says she knows wha tthat sounds like and it is not it. it also just wouldnt make any sense that the squealer would get louder with increased speeds (usually it goes away). the sound that she is hearing is non-existant at low speeds or while stopping, but again, starts and increases the faster she goes. the sound is coming from the front end of the car and sometimes it sounds like it may be on teh let, other times the right. from what i gathered, it appreas to be coming from the area of the wheels. has anyone ever experienced thiswith their accord or heard about it in another topic?

a few other things, a/c status does not appear to effect the sound, netiher does the application of the brakes, or going around turns at high speeds, it is mostly consistent with the speed as far as i know.

also, to clarify, "high speeds" would refer to highway driving, in the 55-75 mph range in chicago.

"think metal plates rubbing and making a hig pitched sound" is the description i got.

HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT BEFORE I GO NUTS! Thanks to all fo you in advance.

again: 2000 accord - SE - 4 cylinder - auto tranny - 4 doors - maroon - tape player?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Default RE: Squealing sounds that increases with speed

Sounds like a wheel bearing could be a likely culprit

Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Let me expand/clarify a little bit.... The only parts on a car that start spinning faster with speed are the areas associated with the wheels, the brakes and the axles/a few internal parts of the tranny. Other than that the movement is more RPM related. (on average that is....) If it only has to do with speed and she knows for a fact that it's not brakes that leaves wheel bearings (on the outside) or something in the tranny (doubtfull but possible....)

Anyone know if the VSS in a 2000 is still mechanical enough to cause this?

does she live in a dusty/dirty area?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
fitchpuckman
Unregistered

no she doesnt live in a dirty/ dusty area. the fact that it is concurrent with speed makes me also think taht is has somethign to do with cv joint/tranny/bearings. i also forgot to mention a KEY point in that there was a guess some weird noise heard when putting the car into reverse the other day. i guess it souded sort of like a pressure release of some sorts, like a valve depressuriszing (not engine valve, just valve in general terms for the sake of an example). it seems to be like there is somethign going on with the transmission.

i guess the noise has sometimes been coming disticntly from the left side of the car and sometimes disticntly the right. may this have somethig to do with the transmission needing a band adjustment? if there is a problem with the transmission internally, could there potantially be ann odd transferring of power to the cv joints, causing the nose to sound like ti is coming from one side of the car or the other?

maybe i am just really starting to reach to find an answer.......ha. thanks for the help, i GREATLY appreciate it.