General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord Rear Balance Shaft Setup

Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Default 98 Accord Rear Balance Shaft Setup

I have a '98 Honda Accord having the 2.3L non VTEC engine.

Due to some very poor work in the two timing belt tensioners the engine has jumped time on both the balance shafts and the camshafts. A cylinder leakdown test proves that there is no damage to the valves.

The Haynes manual that I have here in Venezuela does not agree with with what I actually see on the rear balance shaft drive pulley. In other words, the marks described in Haynes are not present on the pulley.

What IS present is a V shaped notch on the edge of a steel plate on the rear of the pulley.

Now I'm wondering just how I should set up the rear balance shaft when reassembling. Put another way, where should I position the notch when reinstalling the balance shaft belt?

Believe me, any help that is offered will be much appreciated!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

The rear balance shaft can also be aligned by putting a pin (or a bolt) through a hole from the backside of the engine block. I'm not real sure if it's actually one of the bolts shown here but it would be #13 or 26 or in that location.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks much for your reply!

I've tried the bolt / allen wrench thing but, like others have posted here have had trouble getting the allen into the balance shaft hole.

I think that I'll try a smaller diameter allen wrench in order to make it easier to actually locate the shaft hole and then try the correct 6 mm again.

There's more than a slight chance though that my '98 was built here in Venezuela. I don't know how to tell but I'm thinking that if it was there is a possibility that the rear shaft alignment could be accomplished differently.

I guess I could remove the balance shaft to check all this out, but I hate to do that because if you fix something enough it's almost sure to cause more problems.

As mentioned there's a V shaped notch on the steel plate behing the shaft pulley.

Anyway, thanks again!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

That pulley mark will line up with a casting boss [ridge] at about the 4 'O'clock position as you are facing it.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Accord Rear Balance Shaft Setup-rshaftalign.jpg  

Last edited by hondadude; 05-10-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Default Thanks From Venezuela

All I can say is thanks for the reply and thanks to all who have done so. Venezuela is beautiful; Venezuela is nice, but it is difficult here to find out such matters.

Thanks again...