General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steam coming from 2004 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
RTM1216
Unregistered
Default Steam coming from 2004 Accord EX

My 2004 Accord EX (4cyl) started acting weird yesterday. When running and just idling for about 5 mins I've been getting a burst of steam coming from the engine compartment that lasts about 2-3 seconds then stops.

The temp gauge is showing a normal temp (a little below the halfway mark) so it's not overheating. The steam is coming from somewhere on the passenger's side as I can see condensation and a little pool of coolant on top of the plastic cowling near the a/c compressor. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
RTM1216
Unregistered

I forgot to add... The CEL is not on.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

fix the coolant leak..pressure test system to locate the leak , once fixed i bet you won't see steam any more

Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Make sure it's coolant and not AC lubricant, which sometimes is also green. Pressure relief valve on compressor releasing might leave lubricant behind and you might see some "steam" when a release occurs in humid conditions.

good luck

Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 AM
RTM1216
Unregistered

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Make sure it's coolant and not AC lubricant, which sometimes is also green. Pressure relief valve on compressor releasing might leave lubricant behind and you might see some "steam" when a release occurs in humid conditions.

good luck
Thanks. Is it normal for the compressor to release pressure or is it an indication of some other issue?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 AM

No, it is not normal.

Pressure release could occur due to condensor blockage, cooling fan failure, or other reasons where compressor runs and very high system pressures develop. PRV releases somewhere around 400 psi and there will be a loud noise when this occurs.

good luck

Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by RTM1216
My 2004 Accord EX (4cyl) started acting weird yesterday. When running and just idling for about 5 mins I've been getting a burst of steam coming from the engine compartment that lasts about 2-3 seconds then stops.

The temp gauge is showing a normal temp (a little below the halfway mark) so it's not overheating. The steam is coming from somewhere on the passenger's side as I can see condensation and a little pool of coolant on top of the plastic cowling near the a/c compressor. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Had a similar issue with my 05 V6 Accord just this weekend. However mine started with a completely dead battery. Jump started and ran it up to temp and got it charged up. Randomly shut AC off inside the car and got a rough, very low idle, then all of the sudden this big burst of vapor for about 1 second from near the AC compressor. Search across forums found similar problem resolved by others as a faulty AC relay switch. Sure enough one of the three AC relays in the underhood fuse box was bad when bench tested. Replaced with aftermarket for less than ten bucks and solved the problem. Think the compressor was not being relieved of high pressures so it did it on its own via the pressure release valve. Loud and strange.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:43 AM

Most sources I've heard recommend replacement of PRV if it actuates as it may tend to leak afterward.

good luck