General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sticky Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

If there's a mechanical "click" before the throttle plate closes, make sure that clicking isn't part of the cable. If it IS part of the throttle body, look for stuff in the pivots & springs, that you can fix. If you can't find & fix it; then you need a new TB.

The throttle mechanical stop screw is ONLY meant to prevent the throttle from wedging stuck against the bore. If you use it to hold the throttle open beyond some mechanical clicking problem, then you probably won't have enough adjustment range in the air-bypass screw to set it properly.

The car's 21 year old, stuff like this wears out.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies!!

I did more reading in the shop manual and here's a relevant section that I found:

From what I can feel, whenever I push down on the throttle link body just above the throttle stop screw, that's when the "click" happens. I tried sticking a piece of cardboard between the throttle link and stop screw and when I push down on the throttle link, it DOESN'T stick anymore. Since the shop manual says "Do not adjust" the throttle stop screw, does this mean I should definitely not dink with it? I get the feeling that if I move the screw down just a hair, that'll solve this issue.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I forgot to mention earlier that this is for my 2000 Honda Civic Si, not the '94 Accord in my signature.

Last edited by cukaracha; 07-03-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

If you can convince yourself that that the throttle plate is wedging stuck closed, then I think you can adjust it. That stop screw is supposed to ONLY JUST prevent the plate from sticking closed.

Clean that stuff out with throttle body cleaner first, just in case it's sticking in the dirt & sludge?

Then you will have to readjust your base idle, by using the idle-air bypass needle valve.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:24 PM

I've been reading up on throttle body and related sensors, and it seems like too much of a hassle to dink with. I think I'll just live with it for the time being until I feel like upgrading the throttle body and intake manifold.

Thanks for all the help guys!!