General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stupid question.. Stick shift, how to check fluids..

Old 12-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Default Stupid question.. Stick shift, how to check fluids..

What is there I need to check, some kind of slave cylinder and some kind of clutch reservoir? How do I check those and where can I find the actual transmission fluid? I found one reservoir of unknown purpose, so it must be one of those..

I add lucas to all of my transmissions with great results.. what parts of this car can I add it to? I have never driven or owned a stick .. that is why I am asking such ridiculous questions

She says her car has a newer clutch.. and she drives it perfectly (I may not drive them, but I can tell when someone isn't doing it right. She shifts smooth, at exactly the right times, and doesn't ride the clutch or anything)

The other day she drove a car with a brand new clutch and she really seemed to love it because it was so "easy" to shift.. I was wondering how I could make hers shift like it's new..

Old 12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

There is no dipstick to check the fluid level on a 93 manual transmission accord. The level can be checked at the fill bolt.

I would change the transmission fluid first. I think the Honda MTF is good stuff.

The fluid for the clutch pedal is the clutch master cylinder reservoir. It is a small plastic reservoir next to the brake fluid reservoir. Check the level in there to see if it is low. It couldn't hurt to change that fluid too. We can give you more specific instructions on how to do this. Check the cap for the brake fluid, but I think it is dot3.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have the same car. MT's are straightforward.
Originally Posted by PAhonda
There is no dipstick to check the fluid level on a 93 manual transmission accord. The level can be checked at the fill bolt.

I would change the transmission fluid first. I think the Honda MTF is good stuff.
Agree on all. Tranny fluid level is checked from underneath when the car is level.
'93 MT takes 2.5 qts, so probably could get by by refilling that much even if you're on ramps and
not level enough to check. Also, in MT 100% fluid drains out, unlike AT's.

Note '93 Owners Manual says to change MT fluid every 30K.

Last edited by UhOh; 12-23-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Yeah I'd like to know how to find the fill bolt so I can check it.. what do I do, take the bolt out and look inside, or use a dipstick, or what?

The clutch fluid I guess is what I saw, and it looks clean and full...

Changing transmission fluid after it hasn't been done in a long time scares me, because I have had a couple of ATs die right after changing fluid... Is that not a concern with manuals?

The lucas, I can just add it to the transmission like I do with my cars, right? Does anyone know if they make something for the clutch fluid?

Thanks!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

On the side of the trans there is the fill bolt (17mm ?). Once out and on level ground it should be right below the bolt threads.....stick you finger in the hole and see if it touches your finger.....when filling you pretty much fill until it comes out of the hole.

Change it.......

Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 93Accord2.2
Changing transmission fluid after it hasn't been done in a long time scares me, because I have had a couple of ATs die right after changing fluid... Is that not a concern with manuals?
you'll be good changing it. MT's are different beasts than AT's, simple. No MT has ever quit because of fresh fluid.
only challenge will be how to get the fluid into the fill hole - ingenuity!
yeah, fill it till it dribbles out - hi tech!

also, the fill hole plug may be on very tight. breaker bar (but tough access) or just muscle it.
have a brew first so you don't worry about breaking the plug or ratchet.

let us know how it goes...

Last edited by UhOh; 12-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Should I change the filter too? I haven't been under it, but I assume it's just got a pan that comes off, right?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:17 PM

I found this"

"However, I have a low impact way to flush the automatic transmission, converter, and lines.

I buy a case of fluid. I loosen one cooler line at the radiator and place a drain pan under it. I then start the engine and let the fluid pump into the drain pan. At the same time I start adding fresh fluid to the transmission at a rate that keeps up with the discharge. When the fluid coming out of the cooler line is red and fresh, turn off the engine and tighten the cooler line. I then check the level and add as necessary.

The key to this is to not let the transmission run out of fluid while the process is happening. You'll know if you aren't adding enough if the rate of flow from the loosened cooling line starts to diminish.

A variation of the technique is to do the filter change before topping up after the flush."

Is that a good idea????
Does the mt really have a trans cooler? That's pretty nice that these little cars have trans coolers... . I didn't think they would

Old 12-23-2011, 08:24 PM

A couple of sites say to put motor oil in the tranny... that doesn't sound bright... and then some say DexIII will work, and that Honda fluid isn't as good?? What do you guys use?

I am sure it's been just forever since she's changed it.. if ever.. she's had it ten years.. are we likely to have issues with it if I DON'T do it?

Last edited by 93Accord2.2; 12-23-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 PM

^^^ holy cr*p, you're hitting the brew too early. Forget everything you've learned about AT's, except fill to proper level at end.
NO AT FLUID INTO A MANUAL TRANNY BUILT DURING 1993; but I don't know anything.
Look, MT's have been around since 1905 and haven't changed except for synchromesh.

NO FILTER. NO PAN.
A drain plug, socket needed - all fluid comes out.
A fill plug, socket not fit; all fluid goes in here - until it dribbles out.
Simple, in spades. After you do it once you'll understand.
Fill plug has a negative 4 sided hole that the ratchet itself fits into, no sockets.
can't recall what this is called - dumb me, help.

'93 MT owners manual says use engine oil 10W-30 to 20W-40 in tranny. If you look around hard enough you'll find that
this viscosity approx. equals 75W-90 or 80W-90 gear oil. different viscosity scales, don't ask.

that said I use 15W-40 diesel engine oil (sold everywhere) in my tranny, but prior owner put 10W-30 in.
227,000 now; no work needed.

Last edited by UhOh; 12-23-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid question.. Stick shift, how to check fluids..