General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tell me experiences using flourescent dye and UV light to find small antifreeze leak

Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Tell me experiences using flourescent dye and UV light to find small antifreeze leak

94 Honda Accord LX 5 speed manual non VTEC no ABS

I have a very small antifreeze leak coming down left side of the oil filter, occurs only after car driven 10-15 minutes a small dripping continues for a few minutes after car turned off.

I am trying to pinpoint the source of the leak which first occured the next day after I did oil and filter change

People tell me to pressure test the radiator cold, but
I do not have a pressure tester, and to rent or buy one too expensive.

Therefore, I am considering buying the flourescent dye $4 and a UV light and glasses $28 to find this leak source

I have no experience with this flourescent dye technique wondering if this is a good means to find the source of my antifreeze leak

Anyone tell me about your experiences using the flourescent dye and UV glasses to find an antifreeze leak source

Thanks

Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Never used it on/in coolant, don't see why it would be any different.

I thought that most of the time when you "rented" a tool, yu got your money back when you returned the tool?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I think that's just a couple specific chain-stores like Autozone & Advance Auto. Call around...

Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I read some posts about antifreeze leaks which talked about lead from weep hole of the water pump back of the engine drivers side

I took another look at my Honda and found that weep hole. I felt it, and it has antifreeze leaking from it.

Seems like I finally found the source of my leak. Must been coming out at the water pump and somehow wrapping below the engine over to the oil filter.
The problems I had with overtightening filter during oil change made me wrongly think leak elsewhere.

Now looking at $700 water pump and the many belts in that area replaced at the dealer.

Thanks all for your ideas

I am frustrated, as I believe I caused this problem by jacking up drivers side of crossbeam below engine too far with jack to get jackstand under the jack pin on drivers side to do oil and filter change. I dont know how else to get the car on jack stand than to lift it under one side of the cross beam.

Anyone with better ideas to get car on jack stands without damaging a Honda Accord ????

Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

I jacked up the front of the car on the tow hook that is in the middle of the car. I was able to place jack stands on both sides of the car this way.

The common DIY threads on top of the gen tech help forum has a link for online shop manuals. The honda-tech link has a 94 shop manual that you can download. It shows the jacking points on your car and has a ton of information.

I don't see how jacking up the car in that spot would mess up the water pump.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

I don't believe jacking under the crossbeam can cause the waterpump to leak. Is the crossbeam even bent from this?

I never had a 94 but Honda traditionally has a front-center lift point under the radiator. Indicated by an arrow or something like that. But you need a pretty high jack to get stands under the front-side jacking points.