General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature Gauge reading WAY ABOVE hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Default Temperature Gauge reading WAY ABOVE hot

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Earlier today I had installed a usa spec pa15-hon and i was happy about myself till the battery died right after I installed it. I thought it was because the car was off and I was working on it while the ipod was charging so i go out for dinner with the fam in another car and when I get back i try to turn it on and it does turn on so i open the hood and see that the battery seems to have leaked there was all this grainy white acid around the batter so i cleaned it off and thought I'd get a new one tmrw. So i drive around the driveway only to see that my temp gauge is way past H . I attached a pic can some1 please help me? i really want to get this fixed as soon as possible

EDIT: also the needle stays in this position even when the car is off.

Name:  5c27acfd.jpg
Views: 3124
Size:  87.9 KB

Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM

also forgot to add its a honda accord v6 ex coupe

Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

What year is this accord? Also, did you have to do any splicing to install the ipod adapter?

Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What year is this accord? Also, did you have to do any splicing to install the ipod adapter?
its a 2004 accord coupe v6 what do you mean splicing? im new to all this stuff it came with with one connection to plug into the xm when you take that out and one other connection to plug in the old xm connection

Old 09-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Splicing would be cutting into the Existing wiring and hard wiring the new harness for the ipod adapter. With a snap together harness you didn’t do that. I would suggest either calling the company that made the product or remove it and see if the gauge returns to normal.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

I put one of those iPod adapters into our 2003 Accord (4-cyl) then moved it into a 2007 Civic. No issues at all with the temperature guage. You don't need to disturb any wiring, just plug it into the stereo where a CD changer would plug in.

So I'm more inclinded to think you disturbed some wiring that's unrelated to the stereo - namely a harness going to the back of the cluster?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I put one of those iPod adapters into our 2003 Accord (4-cyl) then moved it into a 2007 Civic. No issues at all with the temperature guage. You don't need to disturb any wiring, just plug it into the stereo where a CD changer would plug in.

So I'm more inclinded to think you disturbed some wiring that's unrelated to the stereo - namely a harness going to the back of the cluster?
yeah all i did was unplug the xm connection and put in the snap in adapter provided i didn't cut into any other wires or anything i didn't even touch the other wires

Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Looks to me like the needle come off the temp gauge for some reason. Not even on the temp range spec.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, like piggylover says... But you'd almost have to remove the cluster & mess with the needles to make that happen. Strange.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Would grounding a wire for the temp gauge do that and what happened to the battery?

Quick Reply: Temperature Gauge reading WAY ABOVE hot